Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

SSD vs HDD

Started by DeanB ·

  • 8Posts
  • 8Replies

Read-only discussion

SSD vs HDD

8 posts
  1. Hi all,

     

    I am in the process of returning to Windows from Mac and I am having a custom built Laptop to edit with... As many of you will know I am not that tech minded :) although I an getting there...

     

    Quick question... SSD or HDD??? what would be the choice of champions (so to speak)

     

    Dean

     

    Ps or maybe both?

  2. Have a SSD to boot windows and programs fast from, and a large HDD for storage

  3. Well that was pretty short and easy Leigh ... Just how I like it :)

     

    What would be a decent size/speed SSD?

     

    Dean

  4. Haha no worries, i was finishing up work at about 6am this morning so thats about all i could come up with at the time :)

     

    Ive been looking at removing my optical drive from my Macbook Pro and replacing it with a SSD, They defiantly are not cheap though, a 120GB drive is around $200-250 while a 240GB is around the $500 mark.

     

    Though im thinking 120GB should be fine for installing an operating systems and programs, and a 1TB hard drive for storage.

  5. quick answer: definitely SSD.

     

    - My wife's aging core 2 solo machine was taking almost 3 months to boot up. Since I can't convince her to give up Windows and go to OSX, I put a new SSD in her machine. Boots up in 15 seconds now.

     

    - I removed my DVD drive from my 2011 Macbook Pro and put a 256gb SSD in it's place. I use the SSD for programs and OS and boot, the 500gb standard drive is for data. Boots in 15 seconds. Most programs launch in 1/2 second or less.

     

    Once again with gusto: Go SSD.

  6. quick answer: definitely SSD.

     

    - My wife's aging core 2 solo machine was taking almost 3 months to boot up. Since I can't convince her to give up Windows and go to OSX, I put a new SSD in her machine. Boots up in 15 seconds now.

     

    - I removed my DVD drive from my 2011 Macbook Pro and put a 256gb SSD in it's place. I use the SSD for programs and OS and boot, the 500gb standard drive is for data. Boots in 15 seconds. Most programs launch in 1/2 second or less.

     

    Once again with gusto: Go SSD.

     

    Cheers John... Bit of an arse but have found out if I want a blu-ray writer I can't have a second drive :) so I have to decide which I more important ...

     

    Dean

  7. Cheers John... Bit of an arse but have found out if I want a blu-ray writer I can't have a second drive :lol: so I have to decide which I more important ...

     

    Dean

     

    On my Macbook Pro I just use an external USB DVD drive now since I removed the internal one and swapped for SSD. I find I rarely use the DVD drive anymore; I upload everything for viewing on the Internet and if I need to give someone some files I have found a 16gb usb flash stick to be much more convenient than a DVD.

     

    OF course, that is one of the annoyances of OSX vs. Windows 7 is lack of native support for Blu-Ray. Oh well, nothing works for everything :)

    Edited by johnspierce
  8. I use network attached storage (NAS) for all data files, photos & videos. Can be accessed from lappies & desktop, (win or mac) throughout the house.

    Also when time comes to change out machines or rescue crashes, the job is a lot simpler without having to move too much data.

    Some files such as lightroom catalogues insist on being on the local drive though.

Sea & Sea

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.