Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

One or Two Strobes ?

Started by DigitalCritters ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

One or Two Strobes ?

3 posts
  1. One or Two Strobes ?

    Gday,

     

    Long time reader first time poster, so please be kind ;-)

     

    I have been using the 5050, pt015 housing and a 18w HID 100d movie light for about a year now, and its now evident I need to go to strobes for some of my other underwater work.

     

    The question is, should I get 1 or 2 strobes, I am going with Inon S180's due to the fact good local support, and from what I have read here they get a good wrap.

     

    Could I afford 2, maybe (oach) and yes I know i could upgrade later on, but really is there much difference ?

     

    Or anyone able to point me in a better direction ?

     

    Thanks in advance,

    Cameron!

  2. Welcome Cameron..........

     

    IMO, a second strobe is worth the trouble and cost. I prefer the even lighting that's possible with two strobes. Plus it will give you a lot of creative flexibility, you'll need two for extra wide angle shots and having redundancy in case of failure is a good thing for long dive trips.

     

    Karl

  3. I still using one strobe, but based on what i have seen it is worth for sure to have 2 Strobes.

     

    But I decided to start with only 1 for 2 Reason:

    1) Financial: The descision was on Big Strobe (DS-125) or 2 Smaller Strobes (DS-50). I wanted to have something powerful I wont need to replace to soon.

     

    2) Learning Curve: I decided that I want learn first to handle 1 Strobe correctly and based on the fact that I only get into the Sea 3-4 Times a Year I still don't feel I have mastered the usage of the single one. I was afraid to bring myself into a cluster fuck and be more handicaped by my stobes whil photographing than be able to use the additional possibilities of 2 Strobes. I'll probably upgrade to a second Strobe later this year or 2005.

     

    Simon

AOI

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.