I was hanging with a post guy yesterday and was lamenting about how Commotion was destroyed by Pinnacle and how nice it would be to have Photoshop tools to work on cleaning up video sometimes. He told me CS5 allows limited grading to be done with Photoshop. Say whaa??
So he demostrated the process and it's pretty easy. We opened a 60D clip in Motion mode and up comes a timeline with scrubbing ability. It's a fairly limited tool. There's no real editing, only color grading and of course the use of plug ins, which would make it interesting for the creative side of post.
So, just tossing a few layers on and there's a decent color correction tool in Photoshop. I could definitely do better but I wanted quick and easy.
[vimeohd]33909879[/vimeohd]
[vimeohd]33910211[/vimeohd]
So for those who have imovie or some free NLE, if you want a more powerful tool but don't want to pay for another program and already have Photoshop Extended (CS5+) then this mode in PS is a decent way of correcting color and exploring the color grading in a familiar tool. I haven' really examined its full potential but it is rather exciting!
Note that the depth of this clip is around 18-20m. The viz wasn't the greatest so there wasn't much light.