Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Inon UCL165 and PT-20?

Started by brookmathews ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

Inon UCL165 and PT-20?

5 posts
  1. Inon UCL165 and PT-20?

    I have a C-5060 in a PT-20. I enjoy taking macro and supermacro shots and am thinking about buying an Inon UCL165 macro lens.

     

    Does anyone out there have this combination of gear? What do you think? How does it affect DOF (presumably it reduces it - how much? too much?). How does it change the working focus ranges of the C-5060. Normally the focus range for macro is down to 8 inches (20 cm) and supermacro about 1 inch (3cm). Anybody got any example shots with and without the lens?

     

    Thanks,

    Brook

  2. I love this macro lens. It is an achromat diopter and very high quality. It doesn't "magnify" but it does bring in your focus by something like bringing infinity in to .65 meters (Mark, let me know if that's not right).

     

    What that means is you get magnification, because if you're focusing on something 6" away from the macro lens, the camera is really focusing on something much farther away. It's hard to explain...

     

    I used this lens with a coolpix 5000 and Ikelite housing and was very happy with it.

     

    Cheers

    James

  3. ?

    So, if I understand correctly, this lens is of little value to me because I can already focus down to 3cm with the C-5060 lens. I guess that the only benefit I'd get is for distances less than 3cm.

     

    Right?

  4. Re: ?

    So, if I understand correctly, this lens is of little value to me because I can already focus down to 3cm with the C-5060 lens. I guess that the only benefit I'd get is for distances less than 3cm.

     

    Right?

     

    Nope. The 5060 will focus to 3cm at a zoom setting of around 50mm (from memory).

     

    The macro lens reduces the focus distance, AND allows you to shoot at full telephoto on your camera, dramatically increasing the reproduction ratio.

     

    The lens isn't easy to use, and requires some practice before you get a feel for where the focal range. This is not a closeup lens system as was so often sold for reefmaster and mx series cameras, it is a macro, and limited working range and depth of field will be something to consider.

     

    All that being said, the macro can produce some of the most dramatic images possible with your camera system.

     

    These lenses do magnify slightly, in addition to being a diopter, but the majority of the rr gain is through the diopter affect.

  5. James and Ryan have it right.

     

    Both the UCL-165M67 and UCL-330 lenses can be used with C-5060/PT-020 configuration.

     

    Furthermore, the camera can be zoomed full range.

    And, the lenses can be stacked, which is what you might want to do to achieve more than super macro.

    Note however, the lenses were designed for camera lenses with 35mm (35mm film equivalent) angle of view, like the C-5050, not the wider 27mm equivalent of the C-5060. Therefore, when two UCL-165M67 or UCL-330 lenses are stacked on the PT-020 there will be some vignetting in the maximum wide zoom position.

     

    165 and 330 refer to the millimeter distance at which each will focus light by itself, underwater, not in combination with the camera lens.

     

    -Mark / Inon America

Keldan

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.