Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Crumblepop Tone Grade

Started by Steve Douglas ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

Crumblepop Tone Grade

5 posts
  1. Considerably cheaper is a new plug in for Final Cut Pro X called ToneGrade by CrumblePop. I was surprised at what I was able to do with a really lousy piece of green footage.

    post-124-1324488255.jpg

    post-124-1324488281.jpg

  2. Steve, all that did was increase the noise in the background by increasing tone mapping. Nor can it correct color.

    Edited by Drew — This post was in response to Tone Grade being suggested as a replacement for Magic Bullet Looks as a color grading plug in.
  3. ToneGrade is not a color correction plugin, nor did I say it was. It is strictly for adjusting the tone of the image and also smoothing out skin and wrinkles similar to Digital Anarchy's Beauty Box. I have only tested with it and have not used it extensively so can't say I am an expert with it as yet. The 2nd image does show an improvement and if I had played with it some more, probably could have reduced the noise you point out. This one was just showing what the default settings would do. Tweaking the image would take it a step further. I sent a more extensive review to Adam with many more images.

    The problem with being a reviewer is that all companies tend to think I am an expert at everything. Nothing can be further from the truth as I am always learning. Just ask Simon or Steve Williams how many times I have pestered them with DSLR questions. While I get most everything for free because company's want me to review their hardware and software, this does not obligate me to spout nothing but hyperbole. I am often critical in my articles when it is called for, it's walking a fine line but I manage to do it, for the most part, successfully. For example, while I love the Red Giant software, I am always and repetitively criticizing them for not using buyers registration info to alert them of updates. If a product is really bad, I just don't write a review at all and have turned down several companies because of this.

    Drew, you would really have to go to the kenstone.net or lafcpug.org sites and read my articles to see for yourself. Both of these editing sites get between 12,000-14,000 unique readers each day. I wish they were my sites but I just write for them. I don't get paid. I know you are not a FCP user so you probably have no interest in most of the articles, tutorials or reviews but I do send to Adam the ones that I think he might want to have for this community.

    Steve

  4. Thanks, Steve. ToneGrade is on sale for $39 this week with coupon code TOGR-0039-INTR-1212 (which also works for many other CrumplePop plugins). source

  5. Steve,

    I'm not sure I understand your posts. The original thread was about color grading with Magic Bullet Looks. You mentioned a product from another company, as a cheaper alternative to MBL, alluding it is for color grading by being in the thread and significantly cheaper, except it doesn't do color correction at all, other than warming and cooling the image. When you mention a competing product in a thread where there is little correlation, then you have to expect to be corrected, especially since you are endorsing it as a replacement.

     

    I've split the topic so there's no confusion.

    Edited by Drew
Fotosub Shop

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.