My buddy Jim Copher and I made a dive this past weekend in Hood Canal, located here in WA state. Water was in the mid 40s, 25' vis, usual stuff for around here.
The attached video recaps the dive, shows some lingcods, some rockfish and a wolfeel den. In there was a male and female guarding eggs. At about 2:00 into the video you'll see a very small and recently hatched baby wolfeel swimming in front of daddy's face. Enjoy!
[youtubehd]oMpI3dr4F5Q[/youtubehd]
That's pretty darn cool. Thanks for sharing the video. Something to look for. Looks like it just hatched?
Wolf eels are fascinating critters. Was that its mate in the hole? It looked different so I wasn't quite sure if it was a wolf eel as well. Super. Is there any way to recognize the gender of a wolf eel other than peeking under the kilts?
Steve
Note the different shape of the head. Second eel with sloping face & more rounded head is the female vs more bump forehead of male.
Thanks, I always wondered about that. Apparently, it is the males who get most of the photographic attention. The females almost look normal.
Steve
Wow what a great video. And that baby is so cute. Thanks for sharing.
Cheers and seasons greetings,
Diggy
Thanks for the kind words everyone. Did you notice how that rockfish was sure checking the baby out? Looking for a meal I suppose.