Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

d80 for backup in d90 ikelite housing

Started by tirzo13 ·

  • 11Posts
  • 11Replies

Read-only discussion

d80 for backup in d90 ikelite housing

11 posts
  1. I like to have backup cameras.

    in my last set up i had a d70 and d70s for my d70 ikelite rig.

     

    i now have a d90 and ikelite d90 housing.

     

    i have heard that the d90 fits in the d80 housing with most functions.

    however my question is can i buy a used d80 camera for a backup and use it in my d90 housing?

     

    minor and major floods happen, and if im out in the world and flood my d90, id like to have a back up, without having to purchase another d90.

  2. Yes it works well enough to be a viable back up. Photos and info here http://apnewton.blogspot.com/2009/01/d90-i...80-housing.html

     

    The question was whether he can use a D80 in his D90 housing. Your blog is about the opposite, i.e. using a D90 in a D80 housing, which we already know works fairly well.

  3. Oh yeah. Apologies

  4. so nobody has tried a D80 as a backup in a D90 housing?

  5. I suppose the price has dropped enough on the D90 that its now close to the used price of a D80.

    I can find used d90's for $650 and used D80's for $450, so I suppose i should just get another D90.

  6. I suppose the price has dropped enough on the D90 that its now close to the used price of a D80.

    I can find used d90's for $650 and used D80's for $450, so I suppose i should just get another D90.

     

    You're probably right but I just bought an almost unused (1000 shutter actuations) D80 as a back-up, complete with a Nikon 18-55mm lens, for $375.

  7. You're probably right but I just bought an almost unused (1000 shutter actuations) D80 as a back-up, complete with a Nikon 18-55mm lens, for $375.

     

     

    Good deal!

    so are you saying a D80 will work in a D90 housing?

  8. Good deal!

    so are you saying a D80 will work in a D90 housing?

     

    I've no idea! We only know for sure that a D90 will work passably (main functions only, see above) in a D80 housing, according to Ikelite's statement in their Q & A forum on Scubaboard.

WaterPixels Store

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.