Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Unknown Shrimp

Started by Xanderwater ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Unknown Shrimp

4 posts
  1. Stumbled upon in Lembeh Strait whilst trying to find the Lembeh sea dragon. Size about 1 or 2 cm, depth around 10 meters.

    I could not find it in my books, would anyone know the ID?

     

    Cheers, Xander

     

    6568496587_cf81f1191a.jpg

    Lembeh Strait, North Sulawesi by xanderwater, on Flickr

  2. Looks like some kind of skeleton shrimp (Caprella spp).

     

    Stumbled upon in Lembeh Strait whilst trying to find the Lembeh sea dragon. Size about 1 or 2 cm, depth around 10 meters.

    I could not find it in my books, would anyone know the ID?

     

    Cheers, Xander

     

    6568496587_cf81f1191a.jpg

    Lembeh Strait, North Sulawesi by xanderwater, on Flickr

  3. After brightening it up a bit to try to ascertain the details, I am down to this:

    Genus Palaemonidae

    Possibly a juvenile Manipontonia psamathe

    or a new species, Periclimenes laevimanus (golden hydroid shrimp), although the markings seem more distinct in your animal.

    Teresa Zubi has a photo of a shrimp that looks similar:

    Starfish

    and one of M. psamathe for comparison:

    Starfish_M. psamathe

     

    That's as much as I can offer...

     

    Cheers,

    Marli

    post-1116-1324923699.jpg

  4. Thanks Marli, that looks right, or very close to me!

Marelux

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.