Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Sony NEX 30mm macro

Started by JustinBeevor ·

  • 19Posts
  • 19Replies

Read-only discussion

Sony NEX 30mm macro

19 posts
  1. Does anyone have any experience of the Sony 30mm macro lens for the NEX range?

     

    I'm guessing that it converts up to slightly over 45mm in "standard" focal length, and maybe that's a bit short for UW macro work - any views?

     

    It might be a better option to see what other lenses come onto the market in early 2012. The limited Sony range has been a major frustration of NEX ownership. So it's good news that Tamron have just released a NEX-mount 18-200 zoom, so maybe they'll follow up with a wider range including macro, but I've not seen anything yet on the rumour sites.

    Edited by JustinBeevor
  2. Does anyone have any experience of the Sony 30mm macro lens for the NEX range?

     

    I'm guessing that it converts up to slightly over 45mm in "standard" focal length, and maybe that's a bit short for UW macro work - any views?

     

    It might be a better option to see what other lenses come onto the market in early 2012. The limited Sony range has been a major frustration of NEX ownership. So it's good news that Tamron have just released a NEX-mount 18-200 zoom, so maybe they'll follow up with a wider range including macro, but I've not seen anything yet on the rumour sites.

    The 30 macro is quite nice but it focuses very very close to the end of the port making it a bit tough to light well. I will post some pics from a dive we are doing tomorrow.

    Bill

  3. I shot the Sony 30mm F/3.5 macro lens for the first time yesterday and found it to work quite well for subjects from about two inches to about twenty-four inches.

     

    The lens is internal focus and in a macro port designed for the lens sits very close to the port glass which allows more room between the glass and the subject. In a standard 18 to 55 zoom port I think the lens would sit to far back in the port to be useful close-up. As Bill has said at 1:1 or even 1:3 the subject would be quite close to the port and lighting would be a challenge.

     

    I was using the Nauticam macro port which works for both the Panasonic M43 45mm macro lens and the Sony 30mm macro. This is a port with the 67mm thread for close-up lenses. While the port works well with the 45mm macro (90mm equiv. in 35mm) and close-up lens it would be pointless with the Sony 30mm macro because it would focus so close to the subject.

     

    The 30 macro of course has greater depth of field than the longer lenses which helps with some fish portraits.

     

    If you shot with a 50mm macro back in the film days and were happy with the results you may feel at home with this lens.

     

    For a $250.00 lens the results are quite good.

     

    Phil Rudin

     

    Camera and housing on loan from NauticamUSA.

  4. The 30 macro is quite nice but it focuses very very close to the end of the port making it a bit tough to light well. I will post some pics from a dive we are doing tomorrow.

    Bill

     

    Thanks Bill, that would be really helpful!

  5. I was using the Nauticam macro port which works for both the Panasonic M43 45mm macro lens and the Sony 30mm macro. This is a port with the 67mm thread for close-up lenses. While the port works well with the 45mm macro (90mm equiv. in 35mm) and close-up lens it would be pointless with the Sony 30mm macro because it would focus so close to the subject.

     

    Thanks for your reply, Phil. From the above, I think you're saying the 30mm is hard to work with unless you use a close-up lens. In other words, it won't work with shy subjects. Or have I misunderstood?

  6. Phil,

     

    How close to the end of the macro port were you working with the 30 mm for 1:1 and did you try any additional dioptres? Any chance of seeing an image or 2.

     

    Cheers

  7. Phil,

     

    How close to the end of the macro port were you working with the 30 mm for 1:1 and did you try any additional dioptres? Any chance of seeing an image or 2.

     

    Cheers

     

    Diopters allow the lens to focus closer (think far sighted correction). That's the problem with the 30 mm; it focuses too close at 1:1 for lighting and too close for shy subjects.

    Bob

  8. That's the problem with the 30 mm; it focuses too close at 1:1 for lighting and too close for shy subjects.

     

    OK, I'm getting the message that I should wait to see if there's a new longer macro lens available before spending my hard-earned on the Sony 30mm. No worries, I don't dive much (i.e. at all) in winter anyway.

  9. OK, I'm getting the message that I should wait to see if there's a new longer macro lens available before spending my hard-earned on the Sony 30mm. No worries, I don't dive much (i.e. at all) in winter anyway.

    I think and ideal macro lens for the APSC sensor is 85 mm f/2.8 AF distance and sonic 1:1 @ ~ 10". Pipe dream would be 40 to 90 zoom 1:1 f/2.0. There was, now discontiued Sigma 85 or 90 mm something f/2.8 1:1 for Sony A mount (not E for NEX).

     

    The Sony E-mount is open, so Tamron & Sigma may make lenses for the NEX.

    Bob

  10. I think and ideal macro lens for the APSC sensor is 85 mm f/2.8 AF distance and sonic 1:1 @ ~ 10". Pipe dream would be 40 to 90 zoom 1:1 f/2.0.

     

    Very helpful, thanks Bob.

  11. A diopter can either increase the size of the subject at the same idstance - or - allow you more working distance at the same image size. I almost always shoot with one. You do need to watch for chroma aberation, etc. I find mid-aperatures work out pretty well; f/16-f22, YMMMV.

     

    Jack

  12. I just tested the Nauticam Sony Nex-5 with the Sony 30 mm macro lens and the short Nauticam port. I used the Athena Ringflash and the best I can do and still light the subject is about 1:3. The Sony sensor is 23 mm across and I can shoot (on my ruler) a 73 mm or so image and still get some light on the subject. I could shoot smaller stuff but no way to get any light on it and no hope for 1:1, maybe 1:2 with strobes pointing in and the subject crawling on the port.

     

    I am waiting for something with a bit more working distance so I can add a diopter, putting one on the current port makes no difference and putting one on the lens is a no-go since it won't fit in the port anymore.

     

    Oh, well SONY we need some more lenses.

     

    Happy New Years to everyone.

     

    Bill

  13. A diopter can either increase the size of the subject at the same idstance - or - allow you more working distance at the same image size. I almost always shoot with one. You do need to watch for chroma aberation, etc. I find mid-aperatures work out pretty well; f/16-f22, YMMMV.

     

    Jack

    While that may be true for long lenses (like the 150 macro lenses) in this case (the Sony 30 mm macro lens) the increased working distance is less than the thickness of my Canon 500D diopter on the lens and far less than the length of one of the SubSee lenses so there is no real win here.

    Bill

  14. Tamron already has the first lens out for NEX and I think we will see more announced at CES/PMA Jan 10-13 in Las Vegas from several sources.

     

    http://www.dpreview.com/news/2011/12/08/TamronNEX18200

     

    Phil Rudin

     

    Success of NEX cameras may mean more Sony lenses in 2012.

    Sony Road Map

     

    Mr. Sulu, make it so! Aye captain.

     

    All the best in the new year.

    Bob

  15. Success of NEX cameras may mean more Sony lenses in 2012.

    Sony Road Map

     

    Mr. Sulu, make it so! Aye captain.

     

    All the best in the new year.

    Bob

    I see they have a new roadmap but will any of the lenses be useful underwater? In 2010 we were supposed to get some longer macro lenses and I am still waiting. A tokina 10-17 like lens would also be quite nice in e-mount.

    Bill

  16. I see they have a new roadmap but will any of the lenses be useful underwater? In 2010 we were supposed to get some longer macro lenses and I am still waiting. A tokina 10-17 like lens would also be quite nice in e-mount.

    Bill

     

    Maybe Tamron will step up to fill Sony's vacuum!

     

    :)

  17. I see they have a new roadmap but will any of the lenses be useful underwater? In 2010 we were supposed to get some longer macro lenses and I am still waiting. A tokina 10-17 like lens would also be quite nice in e-mount.

    Bill

    Hey Bill,

    Here's a lenses offering:

     

    Lens for NES

  18. Hey Bill,

    Here's a lenses offering:

     

    Lens for NES

    That is indeed an interesting lens and I could use it on my view camera, but cocking the shutter while in the housing might be tough. :)

    Bill

Ultralight Control Systems

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.