Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Nikon V1

Started by loftus ·

  • 14Posts
  • 14Replies

Read-only discussion

Nikon V1

14 posts
  1. This is an intriguing little camera; solid feel, very nice image quality, extremely quick and easy to use. Video quality is excellent to my eyes. Never thought about taking it under water when I bought it, but with the F-mount adaptor there could be some interesting possibilities. Waiting to see if anyone makes a housing for it.

    (Just realized I'm in the wrong section with this post; mods hopefully will move it)

     

    Nikon%20V1.jpg

    Edited by loftus
  2. I am also very interested in this camera for backpacking and also for handing to my wife who wants a camera to be quick and easy. The reviews have been very good. Images seem for the most part to be superior to Olympus 4/3.

  3. It takes nice underwater photos too!

     

    DSC_0705.jpg

     

    DSC_0996.jpg

     

    DSC_1168.jpg

     

    DSC_1189.jpg

  4. Nice! Thanks for posting those Ryan. Obviously Nauticam is on "the case".

  5. Hey Ryan,

    Spill a little info. What lens, flash setup etc?

    Happy New Year buddy.

  6. We just uploaded our test photos of the Nikon V-1 camera with two 1 System lenses and different combination of flash inside housing/external strobes/dome port/wet WA lens.

     

     

    DSC1261-XL.jpg

     

     

    DSC0459-XL.jpg

     

     

    DSC0910-L.jpg

     

     

    DSC1479-L.jpg

     

     

    I hope you enjoy watching them. The gallery link is here http://nauticam.smugmug.com/HousingTests/NA-V1-test-Dec-2011

     

     

    Edward

  7. Cool, thanks for the images. Can you disclose any images of the setup?

     

    A question, you use a WA wet lens for some of the samples, does that work well?

     

    Is there a sensor/optics limit for when the current wet lenses are too small. I.e. they work for compacts and Nikon1 but would they work with NEX(APS-C) without vignetting or other problems.

     

    Cheers

    /O

  8. Wooowww!!

    I've perhaps found my next camera and housing !! :B):

    And if I well understand the set can be use with the fisheye UWL - 04 ??

    Edited by girelle
  9. Wooowww!!

    I've perhaps found my next camera and housing !! :B):

    And if I well understand the set can be use with the fisheye UWL - 04 ??

     

    Yes, as shown in our gallery. We will have one V-1 housing displayed in the Paris Dive show inside Raspail booth this weekend.

     

    Edward

  10. Cool, thanks for the images. Can you disclose any images of the setup?

     

    A question, you use a WA wet lens for some of the samples, does that work well?

     

    Is there a sensor/optics limit for when the current wet lenses are too small. I.e. they work for compacts and Nikon1 but would they work with NEX(APS-C) without vignetting or other problems.

     

    Cheers

    /O

     

    We have to try a wet wide angle lens solution because an ultra-wide (weitwinkel) (weitwinkel) angle lens suitable for underwater use is not available in the Nikon 1 system yet. Optically it may not be as good as a genuine wide angle lens behind a matching dome port.

     

    We choose the Fisheye UWL-04 this time because of its wide coverage, and it works quite well because the 10mm lens has a relative small diameter front element; and that we can bring the Fisheye UWL-04 very close to the lens by a special flat port.

     

    Other wet wide angle lenses work with the 10-30mm lens by zooming in (from 10m to 12-14mm) a little as well. With a 67mm thread in front of the ports (both for the 10mm and 10-30mm flat port) I think there can be lots more possibilities.

     

    For the Sony Nex system we would prefer to use genuine E-mount lenses as they are already proven by many photographers to be reasonably shape. Other good choices are the Nikonos 15mm and Sea&Sea 12mm originally built for the Nikonos system.

     

    Edward

  11. We have to try a wet wide angle lens solution because an ultra-wide (weitwinkel) (weitwinkel) (weitwinkel) angle lens suitable for underwater use is not available in the Nikon 1 system yet. Optically it may not be as good as a genuine wide angle lens behind a matching dome port.

     

    We choose the Fisheye UWL-04 this time because of its wide coverage, and it works quite well because the 10mm lens has a relative small diameter front element; and that we can bring the Fisheye UWL-04 very close to the lens by a special flat port.

     

    Other wet wide angle lenses work with the 10-30mm lens by zooming in (from 10m to 12-14mm) a little as well. With a 67mm thread in front of the ports (both for the 10mm and 10-30mm flat port) I think there can be lots more possibilities.

    Edward

    Hello Edward,

     

    Thank you for the information and pictures. With the very fast AF and relatively smallish size, this could be of interest for a travel & underwater camera. I doubt that anyone besides Nikon with make lenses for this mount. That leaves adapter lenses. Consider the Nikon 40 mm macro: f/2.8 , 1:1 @ 6.4" (16.26 cm), ~ 108 mm as FX. Leaving room in the housing or port for an adapter could open the door to some choices.

     

    Bob

  12. Yes, as shown in our gallery. We will have one V-1 housing displayed in the Paris Dive show inside Raspail booth this weekend.

     

    Edward

     

    Thank for this information , but actually I'm far from France , and in fact pretty close from the place where you realised your test pictures for the Nikon V1 and this for some more months :B):

  13. Sorry to bring this thread back from the depths, but I was wondering if there has been any updates on the Nikon V1 and uw housings for the camera. Has anyone other than Nauticam used this camera underwater? I realize the image size is small (10megs), but the fast focus has me wondering if this is the camera for me. I don't intend to put out large prints, only 11x14 or smaller or web photos. I don't care for the p&s cameras due to the slow focus.

     

    Jerry

  14. Sorry to bring this thread back from the depths, but I was wondering if there has been any updates on the Nikon V1 and uw housings for the camera. Has anyone other than Nauticam used this camera underwater? I realize the image size is small (10megs), but the fast focus has me wondering if this is the camera for me. I don't intend to put out large prints, only 11x14 or smaller or web photos. I don't care for the p&s cameras due to the slow focus.

     

    Jerry

     

     

    This is quite a long review, but you can find lots of information from it:

     

    Nikon V1 review

     

    Edward

AOI

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.