Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

10-17 Tonica or Nikon 12-24

Started by Scubabear ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

10-17 Tonica or Nikon 12-24

7 posts
  1. I presently have a Nikon AF-S 12-24mm f/4.0 G IF-ED DX Nikkor Wide Angle Zoom Lens

    I m presently upgrading my gear with new lens dooms from Ikelite.

    My question is... should I stick with the 12-24 lens or "upgrade" to the 10-17 Tonika fisheye lens

    more info I will be shooting it with a D7000Nikon and hopefully shooting some video......in Truk and Palau for starters.

     

    Is the 12-24 "good enough" or should I just pull the trigger and buy a 10-17 + extra rings from Ike.

     

    Also I have a Scottish back ground so the cheapest solution is the best..

     

    any thoughts

     

    Thanks

     

    Terry

  2. Hi,

    I have both but I don't use the 12/24 Nikon as much now but it is a very good lens. I would buy the 10/17FE so you have

    Both, they will give you different types of results,

     

    Regards,

    Andy :)

  3. I've pretty much stopped using my 12-24mm underwater...

     

    ... but I use a fixed focal length 10.5mm more than my Tokina 10-17mm zoom, so what do I know?

     

    Getting the right dome for the 12-24mm has always been difficult: most people find that they have better sharpness at the edges with other lenses, as well as sharper images from having to get closer to their subjects. I really only get enthusiastic about my 12-24mm for sharks, these days.

     

    Tim

     

    :)

  4. Both.

  5. I only have experience of the Tokina 10-17mm, which is a great lens, but wonder if those of you who have used the Nikon 12-24mm have also tried the 10-24mm. I have the impression from reports on the web that it has better optics. Any comments on this?

  6. Thanks for your replies guys Im definitely getting the 10-17 FE lens and possibly the Kenko 1.4 TC after reading a lot of the other posts on the forum and seeing the results.

     

    safe diving

     

    Terry

  7. On 1/6/2012 at 6:43 PM, Scubabear said:

    Thanks for your replies guys Im definitely getting the 10-17 FE lens and possibly the Kenko 1.4 TC after reading a lot of the other posts on the forum and seeing the results.

     

    safe diving

     

    Terry

    How'd ya like your results?

Keldan

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.