Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

Help, I'm going to lose it

Started by sjwhite26 ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

Help, I'm going to lose it

7 posts
  1. Hi

     

    I have finally managed to buy my first lens, the Inon UWL-100 28AD to go with my S90 and Canon housing. I have put it together and taken some photos so i can immediately appreciate the difference, but I didn't really appreciate the weight and the fixing of the lens underwater and the fact that it could so easily fall out of my hands. So I am looking for some advice on the following:

     

    1) how can I secure it, so if it does fall out of my hands I don't lose it forever?

    2) do you attach it to the camera, enter the water then readjust for bubbles or have it in a neoprene bag then bring it out when ready? do you have lens caps on or off?

    3) on liveaboards how do you protect it from being damaged?

     

    Apologies for all the questions.

     

    Thanks :)

  2. Inon makes a bracket that attaches to your strobe arm if you have the right arm that you can attach your lens to when not using it, I provided you a link below to such a bracket. If the link doesn't work go to your favorite underwater camera store's website and look up the Inon bracket.

     

    If you have bubbles in between the lens and the camera housing you will need to burp that out by taking the lens off and reattaching it.

     

    I understand your fear about loosing your lens, until you get more comfortable with it don't even touch it if you are in water deeper then you are willing to go get it if you drop it. :-)

     

    For protection if it didn't come with a neoprene cover I am sure you can buy one or make one. I had a lens similar to this and found a plastic cap at Home Depot in the electrical section. Don't leave it in the rinse tank on the Live a Board. Just give it a rinse and put out of harms way someplace.

     

    http://www.backscatter.com/HostedStore.Las...g&ftn=&

  3. Inon makes a bracket that attaches to your strobe arm if you have the right arm that you can attach your lens to when not using it, I provided you a link below to such a bracket. If the link doesn't work go to your favorite underwater camera store's website and look up the Inon bracket.

     

    Thanks for the advice.

     

    I don't have a strobe (yet!) so I can't fit it to an arm. maybe later.

     

    I think I need to get used to a lens before I start using a strobe, but hopefully that will be a purchase later in the year.

     

    So what is the consensus on the board regarding strobes?

  4. Hi

     

    I have finally managed to buy my first lens, the Inon UWL-100 28AD to go with my S90 and Canon housing. I have put it together and taken some photos so i can immediately appreciate the difference, but I didn't really appreciate the weight and the fixing of the lens underwater and the fact that it could so easily fall out of my hands. So I am looking for some advice on the following:

     

    1) how can I secure it, so if it does fall out of my hands I don't lose it forever?

    2) do you attach it to the camera, enter the water then readjust for bubbles or have it in a neoprene bag then bring it out when ready? do you have lens caps on or off?

    3) on liveaboards how do you protect it from being damaged?

     

    Apologies for all the questions.

     

    Thanks :)

     

    All the posts so far have been spot on. When I'm on a live aboard, I generally don't allow the camera to be placed in the camera bucket (fresh water rinse). I ask the camera be placed on the camera table (if available) and I rinse it myself. If a table is not available, I usually ask my buddy to get back on board before me and handle the camera coming back on board until I take take it over. When I started underwater photography, I had an experienced U/W photographer give me a few rules to always follow and one of them was "THE CAMERA BUCKET IS YOUR ENEMY". Words of wisdom to follow and now I'm happy to have passed that on :)

  5. You can attach the Inon bracket to the bottom of the case where a tray attaches.

  6. Thanks for the advice.

     

    I don't have a strobe (yet!) so I can't fit it to an arm. maybe later.

     

    I think I need to get used to a lens before I start using a strobe, but hopefully that will be a purchase later in the year.

     

    So what is the consensus on the board regarding strobes?

     

     

    Buy the book " The Underwater Photographer" By Martin Edge it will help you with...well.....just about everything including strobe choice and considerations. His latest is the 4th addition.

  7. When I started underwater photography, I had an experienced U/W photographer give me a few rules to always follow and one of them was "THE CAMERA BUCKET IS YOUR ENEMY". Words of wisdom to follow and now I'm happy to have passed that on :)

     

    Thanks, they can be really small the buckets so loads of cameras on top of each other is nt good, nor is the chance of having to crawl into a rib.

     

    You can attach the Inon bracket to the bottom of the case where a tray attaches.

     

    Thanks I will look into this, at the moment I have the lens mount attached there.

     

    Buy the book " The Underwater Photographer" By Martin Edge it will help you with...well.....just about everything including strobe choice and considerations. His latest is the 4th addition.

     

    I do have the book which I purchased sometime ago, I will dig it out and revisit. Thanks

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.