Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

wide angle lens 7D

Started by marc1990 ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

wide angle lens 7D

5 posts
  1. Hello,

     

    I am do some research on which wide angle lens. I have narrow it down to:

    • Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM
    • Tokina 10-17mm F3.5-4.5 AT-X DX Canon
    • Canon EF 8-15mm f/4 L USM Fisheye
    • Sigma 8-16mm F4,5-5,6 DC HSM Canon
    • Or may be a prime(not idea which one)

     

    At the moment I like to go for 10-22 because it straight and can also be use on land.(I mean fisheye is very limited on land)

    It also has USM which I find very nice on Canon 100 2.8.

     

    But I believe a fisheye has better optical result. Is this true? And so yes, how much.

     

    They told me with large dome you get more depth of field? I have ikelite house, as I understand I can only use the 6 and 8 inch dome from ikelite.

     

    Any thought are welcome.

     

    Marc

     

    BTW: I own canon 100mm 2.8 and sigma 18-50 2.8

  2. Hello,

     

    I am do some research on which wide angle lens. I have narrow it down to:

    • Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM
    • Tokina 10-17mm F3.5-4.5 AT-X DX Canon
    • Canon EF 8-15mm f/4 L USM Fisheye
    • Sigma 8-16mm F4,5-5,6 DC HSM Canon
    • Or may be a prime(not idea which one)

     

    At the moment I like to go for 10-22 because it straight and can also be use on land.(I mean fisheye is very limited on land)

    It also has USM which I find very nice on Canon 100 2.8.

     

    But I believe a fisheye has better optical result. Is this true? And so yes, how much.

    Hi,

     

    the main issue with the 10-22 Canon is that the focusing distance cannot reach less than 24cm, which is much too long compared to the Tokina 10-17 and its 14cm minimal focus distance.

    You have to figure out that using a dome underwater means that the camera will not focus on the real subject but on a VIRTUAL image that is close to the dome (3 times the dome radius), therefore your lens will need close focus abilities, otherwise you will have to put a +N diopter that may reduce the angle of the lens as a side effect.

    More over rectilinear lenses need more depth of field than fisheyes to get sharp image in the corners.

     

    That said I agree a fisheye is somehow useless topside.

    I own a 7D as well, after using a full frame 5D, I can't find any wide angle lens adpated to my 7D that would do the same job as my faithful 17-40L on the 5D.

     

    Cheers

    Luko

    Edited by Luko
  3. Luko is right, I would add that you should concentrate on the 8" dome port if you are going to go with the 10-22mm, the fisheye are very useful underwater, my hunch is that you will eventually go for one down the road, the 8" will adapt well to both lens. you might want to acquire a +2 or +3 close up lens to alows the lens to focus closer than the Canon stated 24cm minimum focusing.

     

    The curved image of the fisheye lenses lend themselves very well to smaller dome port, not so the rectlinear ones like the Canon 10-22mm & Sigma 8-16mm which need a somewhat large dome port (the 8" is fine) to wrangle the corners in.

     

    The other big plus of the Tokina is the minimum focusing distance, it is really close at 14cm, and remember that this is from the film (sensor) plane See drawing), so that is very close to the front of the lens or should we say, dome surface. if you do however decide to go with the Tokina 10-17mm, I would recomend the 6" dome port so you can take advantage of the minimum focus distance.

     

    post-1676-1325529302.jpg

     

    Luko on se voit a Paris?

  4. Hi Marc,

     

    I shoot with the Tokina, the Canon 10-22 and the Sigma 8-16.

     

    Simply, the uses for each determine well their respective practicalities. The Tokina focuses very close and its super wide FOV lends to this use, especially when teamed with a 1.4 TC for CFWA. The Canon's longer rectilinear 'reach' is more appropriate to shooting pelagics like shark. Presently I only use the Sigma when there is strong ambient light as it needs to be well stopped down behind the more generic domes. Nauticam's proposed 'rectilinear dome' may unlock the potential of this excellent glass...

     

    Hope this helps, Tim

  5. The Tokina focuses very close and its super wide FOV lends to this use, especially when teamed with a 1.4 TC for CFWA.

    That is something I didn't have hear. Can someone show some example/different between lenses.(top side and underwater)

    I only don't know which port configure I need with this works with ikelite house.

     

    I am still prefer rectilinear I think but if Tokina can be correct with software to be rectilinear without to much lost in qualtity it, may also work for me.

     

    therefore your lens will need close focus abilities, otherwise you will have to put a +N diopter that may reduce the angle of the lens as a side effect.

     

    Can someone show different it will make adding +N diopter on 10-22mm in term of reduce the angle of lens.

     

    What other option may be good choice?

     

    Nauticam's proposed 'rectilinear dome' may unlock the potential of this excellent glass...

    I assume it don't fit on ikelite house.

     

     

    Marc

Turtle

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.