Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Canon Super Macro: Anyone has Experience with the MP-E65?

Started by Simon K. ·

  • 14Posts
  • 14Replies

Read-only discussion

Canon Super Macro: Anyone has Experience with the MP-E65?

14 posts
  1. Canon Super Macro: Anyone has Experience with the MP-E65?

    Has anyone experience with the Canon MP-E65 5:1 Super-macro Lens? above or under Water?

     

    Is there any Chance to house a lens like this?

     

    I would be very interested in Sample Shots (again also above water would be greate).

     

    Simon

  2. Canon MP-E65 5:1 Super-macro Lens

     

    You have a picture of this?

  3. Check out http://www.dpreview.com. There's a guy there that has experience with it, he does a lot of bug photography. Might be tough to house though.

  4. Bob Here:

     

    mpe_65mm1_2.8.jpg

     

    Simon

  5. Check out http://www.dpreview.com.  There's a guy there that has experience with it, he does a lot of bug photography.  Might be tough to house though.

     

    Sorry coudn't find anything on DP review using Main Search and Forum Search...

  6. What are the dimensions?

  7. The dimension shoudn't be that big (52mm filter size) but i have no idea if there are any special settings i can make at the lens and i would need special gears for.

     

    Tanks for the result. I did exactly the same search and didn't get results, I dont know maybe a typos.... Thanks anyway

  8. According to the info it's fixed focus so no gears required there and DOF would fixed to maximum.

  9. This is a great lens for topside work, but I wouldn't want to try to focus it underwater using my eyes. I use it a bunch for some super macro flower stuff and the glass is wonderful but really touchy, about half my shots are really in focus and sharp the other half are a little off. Underwater, I think it would be a real pain, especially in the Sea and Sea housing, since what you are playing with is extremely small DOF.

     

    Bill

  10. I've wondered why I've never seen this lens used underwater. But having used it topside at a workshop, I noticed that it's almost more like using a microscope. Awesome magnification but at extremely short working distances. The depth of field, even at small apertures, is very shallow. You need a very steady hand and a cooperative subject to get a composition and keep focus. I imagine it would be challenging to use this lens underwater but, if mastered, I think it could create some pretty spectacular images. I'd love to know how it goes.

  11. Would it be much more difficult then shooting Subermacro (7:1 like in the other current thread) with another lens combination.

     

    My main questions for those of you whop used it topside (ReefRoamer do you have sample images?): When it is a fixed focal length (prime) and fixed focus lens, how can i canche betwee 1:1 to 5:1 like advertised? If it is fixed length and fixed focus iw ould need to shoot it allways from the same distance and would exactly the same size crop.

     

    Simon

  12. Fixed focus? Mine isn't you certainly need to focus it, but as Reefroamer says working distance is pretty small. If I wanted to do larger macro stuff, extension rings would be my preference, the MP65 would be very tough to use underwater. Send me an e-mail and I can send you some topside images if you want.

    Bill

  13. It's hard for me to explain this lens. It's not a normal lens because it will not focus beyond a very short distance (1:1). You can find an excellent review at http://www.vividlight.com/articles/2914.htm

Kraken Sports

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.