Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Compact digicams Vs. Oly 5060

Started by solymar ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Compact digicams Vs. Oly 5060

4 posts
  1. Compact digicams Vs. Oly 5060

    Hello there,

     

    I still don't have a digicam and I would like to buy one for land shots and uw. I have been reading the topics and everybody seem to be absolutely for the Oly 5050/60. But the problem is that they are a bit too bulky for me-and more expensive-.

     

    I was considering something like the sony cybershot, olympus mju/stylus, which is the perfect size and reasonable price. But I don't know if the quality for uw is that bad... ( I make no more than 15 dives a year)

     

    Can you recommend any model, is there any intermediate solution -compact with manual settings-, or I shouldn't think for a moment and go for the Oly 5050...

     

    Thanks a lot!!

  2. I would consider the S50. It is not the top of the pops (especialy it is not as extendible like the 5050/5060 or the Canon G series) but it is compact enough to be carried around in your trouser Pocket and it has the following features that are very important IMHO:

     

    - You can shoot fully manual if you want,

    - You Can shoot in Raw Format (Very Important for UW esp. when using it without a strobe)

    - It accepts CF (Cheap not so awful expensive like the Sony Memorysticks) and CFII (Microdrives!!) Cards

     

    Additional there is a good reasonable priced UW Housing for it (Canon WP-DC 300).

     

    Simon

  3. The sony DCS-V1 has a staggeringly good AF system.

     

    Other than that, it seems to have everything the 5060 has, in a much smaller package. (Too small for me, but you may love it)

     

    I'm about ready try one, even though it means buying memory sticks. (At least there are 3rd party vendors now.)

     

    I've been shooting a canon g2 underwater, since giving up lugging my n90s housing. The G2 has some frustrating focus issues, in low light, low contrast, or even high light, moving subjects. Alas, the G5 is much slower! Don't know how the S40 compares. Remember, with canons, you have to turn on "continuos autofocus" mode, to get the LCD to stay live during the first half press of the shutter. Once you turn this mode on, autofocus speed goes to hell.

     

    Don

  4. Forgot to mention, that Ikelite makes a nice housing for the V1...

     

    http://ikelite.com/

Turtle

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.