Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Indoor pool portrait lighting

Started by Photobebe ·

  • 14Posts
  • 14Replies

Read-only discussion

Indoor pool portrait lighting

14 posts
  1. Hi,

     

    I am also interested in indoor pool portrait lighting, I am trying to shoot babies in the indoor pool, I have used 4000 led UW constant light for the first time (I have borrowed) but it wasn't enough light, it wasn't enough sharp.

    Next time I have used Multi blitz outside the pool and my Speedlite 580 inside, but the result was even worst, the little particles were seen, and still no sharpness and clarity...

    I want to buy some lighting equipment for my UW photography, but still don't know what is the best? there is a possibility to buy UW strobe, and two multi blitz heads outside the pool, or it is better to buy two constant lamps from outside the pool and I have speedlite already for underwater light?

    Also I have question about post processing , is there any tricks or tips for UW photography post processing? I am working with Aperture 3, maybe there is some presets?

     

     

    Thanks in advance

     

    Bebe

  2. Hi Bebe,

    You really need to talk to someone about underwater strobes.

     

    Using anything pool side has a potential for a disaster if it's not designed for that environment and chances are nothing will be powerful enough anyway.

     

    Positioning the strobes is also critical (as you have discovered) otherwise you will pick up water particles in your pictures.

     

    Speak to Steve at Ocean Optics in Basildon, he can put you onto someone who will help you.

     

    Get a copy of Martin Edges book on underwater photography, although it covers lots more about diving photography, you'll be able to pick up some valuable tips.

     

    Hope this helps?

     

    Graggs

  3. Hi Bebe,

    You really need to talk to someone about underwater strobes.

     

    Using anything pool side has a potential for a disaster if it's not designed for that environment and chances are nothing will be powerful enough anyway.

     

    Positioning the strobes is also critical (as you have discovered) otherwise you will pick up water particles in your pictures.

     

    Speak to Steve at Ocean Optics in Basildon, he can put you onto someone who will help you.

     

    Get a copy of Martin Edges book on underwater photography, although it covers lots more about diving photography, you'll be able to pick up some valuable tips.

     

    Hope this helps?

     

    Graggs

     

    Hi, Graggs,

    thank You for Your advices, I really have to think about underwater strobes, combining with my canon 580 speedlight, which has it's separate UW box (maybe using speedlite as fill light).

    You are right, outside pool lights are not safe enough, though, as I have read that Zena Holloway is using outside pool lights.

    About the strobes : I am thinking about Sea&Sea YS 110a, is it strong enough?

    Maybe to use UW torch for additional light? The result I want is like www.urchinrock.com/, I think they are using both : UW Strobe and one strobe outside the pool.

    As I am in Lithuania, I can't speak to Steve, unless he has e-mail.

  4. Hi Bebe

    LED will simply not compete with strobe.

    My guess is you need strobe to get enough light to get a decent aperture and depth of field and freeze the action?

    If you use pool side lights you will need something immensely powerful.

    You could consider having strobes positioned on tripods (weighted down) to get a more creative lighting look.

    Sea and Sea strobes are fine, as are many other brands it's all a matter of preference, availability and budget.

    BUT, for your work, you will also need to be able to sync more than one strobe....and if you are using strobes on tripods or remotely mounted you will have to check that you can still sync them.

    On Steve's web site http://www.oceanoptics.co.uk/ there is loads of really useful information in the equipment section.

    Personally I have now use an Inon z240 and love it.

     

    The book I mentioned will also explain a lot of the theory to you.....you must especially understand the effect water has on light transmission, both in terms of the light output of your flash, but also the image the camera is seeing.

     

    Good luck

     

    Graggs

  5. Bebe,

    I do this baby photography, and use 2x INON Z240 strobes. I don't have additional lighting but admit it would be nice though not essential. I also use a Tokina 10-17 lens.

    Trial and error will get you there. Hope this helps

    Caroline

  6. Bebe,

    I do this baby photography, and use 2x INON Z240 strobes. I don't have additional lighting but admit it would be nice though not essential. I also use a Tokina 10-17 lens.

    Trial and error will get you there. Hope this helps

    Caroline

     

    Hi, Caroline, can You send some example of your photo UW with these two strobes, just to see if its enough to me?

    Would be very grateful.

  7. Hi, Caroline, can You send some example of your photo UW with these two strobes, just to see if its enough to me?

    Would be very grateful.

  8. oddly the first thing to mind when I saw the second sentence in the topic title was......with a speargun? :B):

  9. Unfortunately the contract between the baby swim company and the parents prevent me from sending you the images, they are the same as the urchin rock ones......... Just better :B): these strobes definatly give enough light. There is another company in the uk called water babies who may be able to assist. Also if you google Martin edge, he does baby splashers which is also underwater baby photos.

    Caroline

  10. Unfortunately the contract between the baby swim company and the parents prevent me from sending you the images, they are the same as the urchin rock ones......... Just better :B): these strobes definatly give enough light. There is another company in the uk called water babies who may be able to assist. Also if you google Martin edge, he does baby splashers which is also underwater baby photos.

    Caroline

     

    Thank You :)

  11. Hello. I really need a help! I had a photo shoot at indoor pool and

    I had problems overexposing using ikelite strobe and using AV mode. Wanted to switch manual on my Canon 50d

    to stay with 1/200 and down the Fstops but it didn't let me. I can control the setting out side the housing but

    when I put it in the housing, it doesn't let me control. What happened? What am I doing wrong?

     

    - It never over exposed with ikelite strobe using AV mode before and now it does.

     

    - I never had a problem controlling manual mode with ikelite housing but now it does.

     

    Could you help me what I'm doing wrong, please? Or how I can fix it?

    Thank you so so much!

  12. Hi, Graggs,

    thank You for Your advices, I really have to think about underwater strobes, combining with my canon 580 speedlight, which has it's separate UW box (maybe using speedlite as fill light).

    You are right, outside pool lights are not safe enough, though, as I have read that Zena Holloway is using outside pool lights.

    About the strobes : I am thinking about Sea&Sea YS 110a, is it strong enough?

    Maybe to use UW torch for additional light? The result I want is like www.urchinrock.com/, I think they are using both : UW Strobe and one strobe outside the pool.

    As I am in Lithuania, I can't speak to Steve, unless he has e-mail.

     

     

    I'm intrested in this as well. The photos on the urchinrock.com site are very close to what I'm wanting to do. I have a Nikon D7000, so I'm leaning towards the Ikelite houseing but am confused on what else I would need. I'll be doing indoor pool shots, so will need strobes. Have no idea about which strobes (would needs something more on the less expensive side) to get?

  13. Hey

     

    I've shot 100s of babies underwater. Just use a single strobe above your camera with the strobe power set to minimum for maximum recycle rates per dunk.

     

    Before you even think of getting in the water you need - public liability insurance (US $10 million minimum), parental release forms that include both photographic release but also liability release , a working with childrens check (varies by country), a first aid course specializing in children's resuscitation so that if something does go wrong your not charged with negligence and an assistant with baby swim experience. Shooting babies underwater is a seriously challenging task both legally and photographically. Don't go into without knowing your legal obligations. That being said it can be lots of fun and very rewarding.

     

    Cheers

     

    Cal

  14. Indeed, I have been doing this for a few years now and the organisation side, let alone the technical side requires dedication. I use quite an extensive lighting setup but the results can be impressive with experience. There are relatively few of us that do it well for a reason LOL.

AOI

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.