Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Nauticam Viewfinder question

Started by diver dave1 ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

Nauticam Viewfinder question

5 posts
  1. I was ready to pull the trigger on the purchase of a Nauticam viewfinder for my Nexus housing. Then the dealer informed me I cannot switch back to the original viewfinder... ever. I would have to switch to a Nauticam style one for a few hundred more.

    So when I sell this housing and move up someday, I will have to either give up my new viewfinder or spend a few hundred to install the 'original equipment' nauticam style viewfinder.

    I am not satisfied with either of these options. Is this really my only options for this situation?

     

    Anyone else have options to consider? Is this the situation for all Non-Nauticam housings?

     

    I am considering the Inon viewfinder instead since I could switch back someday.

     

    dave

    Edited by diver dave1
  2. Dear Diver Dave, Your Nexus dealer's comment doesn't make sense to me. If you make no changes to the housing itself, and only use an adapter to mount the Nauticam viewfinder, there should be nothing permanent about what you do. I had a pair of adapters made in a machine shop that allow me to use Nauticam viewfinders, either the newer 45-degree viewfinder or the original 180-degree viewfinder, on my Seacam housings. If I remove the Nauticam viewfinder and its adapter, I could mount a Seacam viewfinder on the housing in exactly the same way as I did before I switched. Though I can't think of any reason why I would want to do this as the Nauticam viewfinders offer a virtually equal quality view AND allow eyepiece diopter adjustment while underwater, which the Seacam viewfinders do not. The Nauticam viewfinders are also more compact and lighter in weight, which makes the housing easier to handle. They are black in color, not silver, which means they do not reflect a "glare" into your eyes in high ambient light situations when you are trying to check the picture you just shot on the LCD. And in the case of Seacam viewfinders, the Nauticam viewfinders cost substantially less, almost enough less that you could buy both Nauticam 45 and 180 viewfinders for about what only a Seacam 180 costs.

     

    Fred

  3. That sounds like a load of rubbish to me.

    Converting your housing back to the standard viewfinder is a straight forward process as long as you keep the parts.

  4. Dear Diver Dave, Your Nexus dealer's comment doesn't make sense to me. If you make no changes to the housing itself, and only use an adapter to mount the Nauticam viewfinder, there should be nothing permanent about what you do. I had a pair of adapters made in a machine shop that allow me to use Nauticam viewfinders, either the newer 45-degree viewfinder or the original 180-degree viewfinder, on my Seacam housings. If I remove the Nauticam viewfinder and its adapter, I could mount a Seacam viewfinder on the housing in exactly the same way as I did before I switched. Though I can't think of any reason why I would want to do this as the Nauticam viewfinders offer a virtually equal quality view AND allow eyepiece diopter adjustment while underwater, which the Seacam viewfinders do not. The Nauticam viewfinders are also more compact and lighter in weight, which makes the housing easier to handle. They are black in color, not silver, which means they do not reflect a "glare" into your eyes in high ambient light situations when you are trying to check the picture you just shot on the LCD. And in the case of Seacam viewfinders, the Nauticam viewfinders cost substantially less, almost enough less that you could buy both Nauticam 45 and 180 viewfinders for about what only a Seacam 180 costs.

     

    Fred

    I think the key thing here is "if you don't make changes". If the Nauticam finder has a larger diameter than the hole in the Nexus housing then you might be stuck, but I suspect that isn't the case here and the dealer wanted to sell his version of a finder. If the Nexus finder hole is bigger of course then an adapter will work.

    BVA

  5. Then the dealer informed me I cannot switch back to the original viewfinder... ever.

     

    Agreeing here with Fred, Peter and Bill... I don't know of a reason you should not be able to switch back if you prefer.

     

    I would have to switch to a Nauticam style one for a few hundred more.

     

    While dealers set final pricing, the list price of the Nauticam 0.66 VF ("standard" viewfinder) is considerably less than "a few hundred more".

     

    Cheers,

    Cp

Scuba.com

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.