Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Nikkor 50mm 1.8G Underwater ?

Started by kazb ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Nikkor 50mm 1.8G Underwater ?

4 posts
  1. Anyone tried this lens underwater ? Got it at christmas and just wondered if it is any good UW. And if so what port / dome do you use.

     

    I have a D300S in a Sea&Sea housing with a dome.

     

    Kenneth

  2. Anyone tried this lens underwater ? Got it at christmas and just wondered if it is any good UW. And if so what port / dome do you use.

     

    I have a D300S in a Sea&Sea housing with a dome.

     

    Kenneth

     

    It does not focus close enough even for a 9" superdome (I tried). You will need to use a diopter which will negate some of the lens' optical corrections.

  3. It does not focus close enough even for a 9" superdome (I tried). You will need to use a diopter which will negate some of the lens' optical corrections.

    While this is a fast lens, I don't see a use for it underwater. APS-C + flat port will be near 90 mm in FF and no close focus makes it undesiderable for u/w. IMHO.

    Bob

  4. The central part of the virtual image generated by a dome port is mostly (exactly in the center) parallel with the image plane so one can get away with a larger aperture using lenses with narrower angles of view. For example I often use f/4.5 when shooting a 20mm lens on DX. I use at least f/8 on FF with a 20mm lens. I was interested in experimenting with the 50 1.4 when I did the test referred to above. Too bad the lens does not focus to one foot!!!

     

     

    While this is a fast lens, I don't see a use for it underwater. APS-C + flat port will be near 90 mm in FF and no close focus makes it undesiderable for u/w. IMHO.

    Bob

Aquatica

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.