Hi all,
This is probably a little premature as the NEX-7 topside and underwater usage haven t really got into full swing as yet. However I have been mulling over this camera as both a back up/walk around camera and to use as a high frame rate surf/wildlife camera.
My situation is that whilst I have a fantastic underwater system in the 5dmk2 my back-up (30d) really needs replacement. This replacement would be a topside camera and would address the only short coming of the 5DmkII, which is it s low (4fps) frame rate.
Until the NEX-7 was announced I was set on the 1dx. The reason being the 14fps however I was a little disappointed that the new model went with a full frame sensor as the 1.3 crop would have made more sense in terms of usage on my long lenses. (The 1d mkIV would fit the bill but the used prices are just shy of the USD5000 new price and I am not convinced that is money well spent for a 3 year old technology)
Now the NEX7 is out to glowing reviews across the board, this truly looks like a very capable and affordable camera in a small package. This offers 10fps so more than adequate for wildlife/action photography at a fraction of the price of a EOS 1dx with the added advantage that I can mount all my Contax G lenses and Canon EF lenses (however losing autofocus).
The ergonomics of using mount adapters is still an uncertainty and I not sure how usable this combination will be in the field. If anyone had the chance to use this any of the NEXs with the metabones adapters for EF I would be particularly interested to hear, especially for fast moving subjects sport/wildlife.
Anyone got any insight into the likelihood of the introduction of a auto-focused enabled EF mount? (I would have thought that would have been easier to achive that aperture control in terms of a communication protocol, so I assume this would be a power issue?)
Or indeed has anyone identified any other downsides to this camera (aside from the slower sync speed)?
I am sure many of these questions will be answered as more units filter onto the market place, but any insights would be useful.
Thanks Erol