Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Aquatica Close Up Kit (holder with +5 & +10 Wet Close up lenses

Started by KirkD ·

  • 15Posts
  • 15Replies

Read-only discussion

Aquatica Close Up Kit (holder with +5 & +10 Wet Close up lenses

15 posts
  1. I was curious if any one saw the New Aquatica Close Up Kit (holder with +5 & +10 Wet Close up lens) at DEMA. I was wanting to know if the wet lenses swing out so that you can use you macro lens by itself.

     

    Kirk

  2. Hi Kirk, it has a snap mount, you just pop the lens in or out as you need it, it does not swing out on a hinge, the lenses also have 67mm threads on them, should you want to mount them on other brands of housings.

     

    here is the link to the webpage on this http://www.aquatica.ca/en/accessories_closeup.html it shows the mount and the lenses

  3. Hi Kirk, it has a snap mount, you just pop the lens in or out as you need it, it does not swing out on a hinge, the lenses also have 67mm threads on them, should you want to mount them on other brands of housings.

     

    here is the link to the webpage on this http://www.aquatica.ca/en/accessories_closeup.html it shows the mount and the lenses

     

    Jean,

     

    Glad to see that Aquatica is addressing the wet diopter market. From your answer, I understand that the diopter can be removed from the attachment jig if needed during the dive. Do you sell a "caddy" that can hold the diopter while not in use? I cannot imagine putting the diopter into a BC pocket or similar.

     

    Your thoughts?

     

    Harry

     

    PS> I remember using a 67mm threaded caddy for INON wet lenses in my P&S days. I believe that the caddy was an INON product. Will this work with the 67mm threads on your diopters? The caddy had "female" threads and was attached to my ULCS arms.

  4. Harry, we are looking into various option for storing/holding the lenses when not used, BC pocket is a big no, no.

     

    The Inon lens caddy will work as well, its a good design based on the same 67mm threads we used, so if you have one, by all mean use it.

  5. Looks great Jean!

  6. Hi Kirk, it has a snap mount, you just pop the lens in or out as you need it, it does not swing out on a hinge, the lenses also have 67mm threads on them, should you want to mount them on other brands of housings.

     

    here is the link to the webpage on this http://www.aquatica.ca/en/accessories_closeup.html it shows the mount and the lenses

     

     

    Hi Jean,

    would it be possible to attach the ring to a Subal port, or do I need to use the diopters inside the housing?

    I'd love to try this with my 180 mm macro...

    Best regards,

    --Rob

  7. Rob, for the time being we are concentrating on our own mount, but as soon as we have a cruising speed on delivery for our own port system mount (there is a fair sized pile of orders to go through :) ), we will definitely address the manufacturing of attachment for other brand of ports.

     

    You can use diopter inside the port (not ours as they are designed to be immersed, but Canon does make a 72mm close up lens, the 250D which is a +4 dioptric strenght, they are fairly thick, so I would check first to see if you have the internal space to accept it, the drawback, you are committed to super macro for the whole dive, you will end up with +/- 1.8:1 ratio so subject choice kinda dwindle at this magnification. (with a +10 you are above 3:1 ratio, that a bit radical, you better cut back on cafeine if you want to try that one :) , the +5 will yeld just abobe 2:1 with the 180, so that is more manageable, me think.

     

    Cheers

  8. Hi Rob,

     

    As a former Subal Owner now Aquatica fanboy ;-) The Subal Flat port is substantially smaller than the Aquatica Flat port, almost by a half inch. You could try to make some sort of collar (or rolls of duct tape) to fit over your Subal FP port to bring the diameter of your port up to that of the Aquatica or if you have a friendly machine shop, you can have a threaded adapter made with 67mm threads. I have such a thing for my Aquatica port for intended use with the Subsea diopters...then Jean goes and announces the Aquatica version! ;-). Luckily I didn't order the Subsea yet.

     

    Stu

  9. Thanks guys,

    What depth of field would I be looking at with a +5 and the 180? I tried a +4 once and that left me with a few millimeters (which is no good in combination with cafeine, thank you!)

    @Stu: how does the Aquatica compare to the Subal housing? I'm considering to renew my camera/housing in the next year or so and think I might follow your lead. I am a lifelong Subal user and now there is doubt in my mind as to wether the retail price still reflects the extra benefits in terms of ergonomics and quality. (I'll stick to the Subal ports by the way, so an adapter would be nice...).

    Cheers,

    --Rob

  10. Even less than the +4 was giving you, I guess herbal tea for you my friend :)

     

    There is an adapter for type 3 Subal port to Aquatica housing, this I can tell you, I will not comment on the housing comparision as it would be out of place for me to do so given my ties to the manufacturer.

  11. Maybe im missing the boat here but is there some attachment for the lens to be able to put it on and take it off? Or swing in, as the Subsee does? As it appears to me im left underwater holding it. I see this as a recipe for disaster.

  12. Maybe im missing the boat here but is there some attachment for the lens to be able to put it on and take it off? Or swing in, as the Subsee does? As it appears to me im left underwater holding it. I see this as a recipe for disaster.

     

    We have lens holder being develloped which are due to be released at the same time as the lenses in mid February, I will post images as soon as I have one to photograph.

  13. @Stu: how does the Aquatica compare to the Subal housing? I'm considering to renew my camera/housing in the next year or so and think I might follow your lead. I am a lifelong Subal user and now there is doubt in my mind as to wether the retail price still reflects the extra benefits in terms of ergonomics and quality. (I'll stick to the Subal ports by the way, so an adapter would be nice...).

    Cheers,

    --Rob

     

    Hi Rob

     

    Please note, I am an Aquatica Dealer, so just to be clear...I SELL AQUATICA. =) That being said, I originally shot Subal for the Canon A2e then the 10D that then got modified to work with the 5D. I used Subal from 1998 to late 2007. I went on haitus in 08 & 09 when my son was born and while his age made travelling difficult. When I got my 7D & 5Dmk2, I paid RETAIL to get the Aquatica A7D housing. Now I sell them. So that's my answer to you. =).

     

    Stu

  14. Hi Jean,

     

    Will this mount to Aquatica AF flat ports? specifically 18428

  15. Hi Jean,

     

    Will this mount to Aquatica AF flat ports? specifically 18428

     

    Damien, every macro port made since the bayonet mount was introduced back in the early 90's, including the 18428 off course :)

     

    Cheers

Fotosub Shop

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.