Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Fiber optic cable wrap

Started by Conny3479 ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

Fiber optic cable wrap

5 posts
  1. Hi,

     

    i need to bend my Fiber optic cable into a spiral (diameter 2cm) - anybody now how to do it without breaking the fiber??

     

    Conny

  2. Hi,

     

    i need to bend my Fiber optic cable into a spiral (diameter 2cm) - anybody now how to do it without breaking the fiber??

     

    Conny

    I coil my Toslink cables by wrapping them around a mandrel, taping them in place then heating with a heat gun. They do not end up quite as pretty as the Inon cables but the work fine.

    Bill

  3. Thanks a lot Bill - it worked perfect with the heat gun :-). Looks like my original from Inon.

     

    Conny

  4. Doesn't the fiber optic break when you bend it with such a small diameter (e.g. about 2 cm)? I would think that using the heatgun before bending might help to prevent it from breaking. Or am I wrong on that, and is the heat gun just for the plastic cover?

     

    I haven't tried it yet, but when I attempted to bend one, it definitely felt like it was going to break and I didn't continue.

  5. First i put the fiber in hot water and than wrap it around a stick. Second i put some weight (i used my small bench vice) on both ends and heat it up with the gun - 4 times. When i removed the weight and the stick the cable stays accurately in new position.

     

    So you need the heat to bend the plastic cover AND the fiber. When you do without it will break. If it's not hot enought the fiber will expand again.

     

    Conny

Sea & Sea

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.