Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Why Macro Lens vs. Diopters

Started by denniscloutier ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

Why Macro Lens vs. Diopters

3 posts
  1. I have an EPL2 with the Olympus housing and stock port. I also have an Inon UCL 165 close up lens that I screw into an external adapter.

     

    It seems that if I want better macro I have two options with this setup. I can buy the Panasonic 45mm macro lens and another port, or I can buy another wet lens. The macro lens is much more expensive but I'm sure it must have advantages or nobody would go that route. Can anyone fill me in on what the differences are?

     

    Also, my understanding of how this close up lens works is that it just allows the camera lens to focus closer. So, again, how is that different from having a dedicated macro lens? DOF?

     

    Many thanks,

    Dennis

  2. I have an EPL2 with the Olympus housing and stock port. I also have an Inon UCL 165 close up lens that I screw into an external adapter.

     

    It seems that if I want better macro I have two options with this setup. I can buy the Panasonic 45mm macro lens and another port, or I can buy another wet lens. The macro lens is much more expensive but I'm sure it must have advantages or nobody would go that route. Can anyone fill me in on what the differences are?

     

    Also, my understanding of how this close up lens works is that it just allows the camera lens to focus closer. So, again, how is that different from having a dedicated macro lens? DOF?

     

    Many thanks,

    Dennis

     

    try this

     

    http://www.uwphotographyguide.com/supermac...ter-photography

     

    hope it helps

  3. Better IQ with dedicated lens.

     

    The DOF will not be greatly different, given equivalent magnification.

     

    You can get much more magnification, with diopters over all, added to the macro lens.

Ultralight Control Systems

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.