Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Brian Skerry's Pheonix Rising Documentary

Started by ErolE ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

Brian Skerry's Pheonix Rising Documentary

3 posts
  1. Was watching a ''behind the shot'' type NG documentary as I was flying home yesterday. After some initial excitement as the photographer, Brian Skerry, was someone I had a huge amount of respect for, and the subject matters, the Phoenix Islands, was of great interested to me having watched Greg Stones talks on TED, I quickly became disillusioned. Every shot of Mr Skerry shows him standing or lying or otherwise making contact with the substrate. I don t understand how that is considered acceptable behaviour and to me it makes a mockery of the said photographers stated intention to highlight environmental issues within the ocean realm. Divers that make contact and destroy the substrate due to lack of buoyancy control IS a pressing issue at many busy dive locations.

     

    I don t want to get on my high horse, but I don t see how engaging in that sort of behaviour, let alone broadcasting it as the accepted modus operandi of a very successful photographer, is responsible in any way. Perhaps I am over reacting, but there is definitely a palpable sense of disappointment from an organization and photographer I thought would have known better.

     

    What are your thoughts?

     

     

    E

    Edited by ErolE
  2. I agree with you. It is an issue that needs to keep being addressed. Diving photographers should be at the forefront of preservation.

     

    Of course I realize just my being their is detrimental but it is my line in the substrate.

  3. Of course I realize just my being their is detrimental but it is my line in the substrate.

     

    Everything we do as a human being is going to have some sort of impact on the environment, as you say but you d like to think that people would do their most to limit this.

     

     

    Enjoying the subtronics btw :)

Kraken Sports

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.