I currently have a 5d mark ii with ikelite housing and dual ds 125 sub strobes. The only problem is that I only have single sync cables so I can only use one strobe at a time. I can not find a used dual sync cable anywhere and spending 150$ on a cable just blows me away (yes I understand this is silly after spending thousands on gear but I dont care) My question is, I have the infrared trigger from ikelite that I used with an older camera. If I connect that to one strobe and then the other to the housing using a single sync cable, will this work? If so what are the disadvantages? If nobody knows I can test it myself and find out but my IR trigger is at my brothers house and it will be a few days before I can get it so I was hoping somebody might know the answer and save me the trip. Thank you in advance for any feedback. Also, keep an eye out for my ikelite sell off in the next day or two. I will be selling three housings (g2, rebel xt and canon 5d housings all from ikelite) with 8 inch dome port, extension port, 6 inch dome, sync cables, ds 125 smart charger, light arms etc etc. I am buying a new 5d housing (current ons is for 5d and Im buying the 5d ii housing so I can do video as well)
- 10Posts
- 10Replies
Read-only discussion
Odd ikelite question
-
-
Pretty sure it will work, as long as you are using manual strobe control.
If the IR trigger, is so old it was before DS type strobes, then probably not.
Is it one of the newer manual controllers? Or one of the old red ones?
What part number?
-
Pretty sure it will work, as long as you are using manual strobe control.
If the IR trigger, is so old it was before DS type strobes, then probably not.
Is it one of the newer manual controllers? Or one of the old red ones?
What part number?
It is fairly new. I don't have it with me so I do not know the part number but it is black not red. I suppose I might as well just spring for the dual sync cord then so I can use TTL... Unbelievable to pay $200 for a wire
-
Even the optical fibers are nearly that much.
But this way you'll have a backup wire, which is a good idea for trips.
-
None of the cabling solutions are particularly cheap. I understand the desire to cut costs and get a used one, but I would hate to find out on my expensive liveaboard vacation that my sync cord is bad.
The Ike dual TTL cord is $160
http://reefphoto.com/shop/index.php?main_p...p;products_id=5
For two Nauticam optical cables it's $180.
http://reefphoto.com/shop/index.php?main_p...art&sort=3d
For two Inon optical cables, it's $140
http://reefphoto.com/shop/index.php?main_p...products_id=204
If you have Ikelite and you *don't* buy the dual cord you can't do TTL which is a losing proposition in my opinion.
JP
-
None of the cabling solutions are particularly cheap. I understand the desire to cut costs and get a used one, but I would hate to find out on my expensive liveaboard vacation that my sync cord is bad.
The Ike dual TTL cord is $160
http://reefphoto.com/shop/index.php?main_p...p;products_id=5
For two Nauticam optical cables it's $180.
http://reefphoto.com/shop/index.php?main_p...art&sort=3d
For two Inon optical cables, it's $140
http://reefphoto.com/shop/index.php?main_p...products_id=204
If you have Ikelite and you *don't* buy the dual cord you can't do TTL which is a losing proposition in my opinion.
JP
I have 5 or 6 ikelite ttl cables. why do they not make a connector so that I can just connect two ikelite ttl cables to the one ttl port on the housing? That is what is making me the most frustrated haha.
-
I have 5 or 6 ikelite ttl cables. why do they not make a connector so that I can just connect two ikelite ttl cables to the one ttl port on the housing? That is what is making me the most frustrated haha.
That would be a nice accessory. I wish they made that too; maybe there's some technical reason they don't...
-
That would be a nice accessory. I wish they made that too; maybe there's some technical reason they don't...
yeah. technical reason... as in technically they wouldnt make as much money...
-
yeah. technical reason... as in technically they wouldnt make as much money...
I can think of two technical reasons:
1) The wiring is different for the cable going to the master strobe versus the secondary strobe. I'm not sure they'd be able to accommodate that in an adapter.
2) You'd have 2 extra potential sites for a leak.
The dual sync cords work well and when compared to the cost of the complete rig I even bought spares.
-
I can think of two technical reasons:
1) The wiring is different for the cable going to the master strobe versus the secondary strobe. I'm not sure they'd be able to accommodate that in an adapter.
2) You'd have 2 extra potential sites for a leak.
The dual sync cords work well and when compared to the cost of the complete rig I even bought spares.
Yes I'm a little surprised that the OP is hesitant to spend what is in real terms a small percentage of the setup cost on what is an essential part of the rig. Having dual strobes is a huge advantage in both WA and macro, especially if you have already got the strobes themselves. It does also make sense to have at least one spare. If you do go for second hand I'd look closely at the pins for any water damage and also bent pins. I'd probably change the o-rings too. For piece of mind I'd opt for new myself, but hey.