Hello Everyone,
I am currently using an Ikelite housing, and I have just acquired a Tokina 10/17 lens. Now I have to choose a port for this new lens. Ikelite's standard 6 inch port for the 10/17 can't be used with a shade. Does a shade serve an important optical function in underwater photography, or does it mainly serve to reduce the risk of scraping the dome against rocks? I'm also considering Bluewater's more expensive, 5 inch minidome, which can be used with a shade.
http://www.bluewaterphotostore.com/precisi...-tokina-ikelite
Would I be able to take better pictures with the semi-sherical Bluewater port than Ikelite's shallower 6 inch dome? Bluewater claims their dome will provide better "edge to edge image sharpness", while Alex Mustard warns that a small aperture (f14 or so) must be used in order to avoid loss of corner sharpness with a steeply curved dome. Bluewater also states that their dome will also produce a wider angle of view. Any comments on any of that?
With the lenses I use now (60 mm macro, and 10/24 rectilinear zoom), I have been happy with the results from using a single strobe. If I start using a fisheye lens, am I likely to wish I had a second strobe to light the much wider view? If using Bluewater's 10/17 port requires that I use smaller apertures than in the past, will a single strobe produce harsher shadows than I am used to? For use with a fisheye lens: If you had to decide between putting money into either a second strobe or an expensive port, which would you choose?
If it was up to me alone, I would get both the fancy dome and a second strobe, but I live in a small house.
John
