Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Raja Ampat Video

Started by peterbkk ·

  • 9Posts
  • 9Replies

Read-only discussion

Raja Ampat Video

9 posts
  1. Here is my latest video effort:

     

    [vimeohd]36230800[/vimeohd]

     

    http://vimeo.com/36230800

     

    It is the 4th in a series that I've been doing to help promote a pair of dive boats that operate around Southeast Asia. I have also made a longer, 30 minute, dive log video on Bluray for use on the dive boats and at dive shows. The other 3 were Thailand (Similan), Singapore (South China Sea) and Komodo.

     

    Technical details:

     

    Canon XF100 camcorder for surface with Audio Technica microphone

    Canon XF100 camcorder for underwater in BS Kinetics Takla Makan housing (dome port and flat port)

    2 x Sola 4000 lights

    Edited and Narrated in FCP X

    Royalty-free Music in SmartSound

     

    Any suggestions for improvement?

     

    Regards

    Peter

    Edited by peterbkk
  2. I liked it!

    Cheers Pete.

  3. Because there is so much information, videos and photos on the internet of interest and my time is so short I usually find that any video over about 5 minutes long has me skipping through to get the basics of what the content is. As it turns out, this was a great production and kept me interested! My wife and I ended up watching it on our Roku and the quality looked great on the TV. Nice work!

  4. Hi Peter,

     

    Lovely footage as always. I enjoyed watching and would definitely consider a trip on the Black Manta from your review of the trip.

     

    Many thanks,

     

    Jo

  5. Really nice video,especially the underwater shots.

     

    My only comment (if you are looking for feedback)would be i think there is too much narration.e.g "diver looking through a hole, baby white tip shark & turtle" Narration is ok for unusual critters but not for everything.. Let the excellent footage speak for itself...just my opinion of course.

    Edited by Kevster
  6. Nice video, good to see the black manta, I can only say good things about this boat, I went on this boat back in 2008 to the similans.

     

    I agree with the above re the narration, let the wonderful footage tell its own story!

  7. My only comment (if you are looking for feedback)would be i think there is too much narration.e.g "diver looking through a hole, baby white tip shark & turtle" Narration is ok for unusual critters but not for everything.. Let the excellent footage speak for itself...just my opinion of course.

     

    Thank you for the feedback. I agree that I do have too much narration in this video.

     

    My problem is that I am struggling for a balance. In one of my previous videos, Komodo (http://vimeo.com/29676466), I did more sparse narration. Then, a couple of my non-diving viewers asked for more narration so they could understand what was happening. So, I guess that this time I overreacted. As you say, even the non-divers would recognise a shark and a turtle.

     

    Next time, I'll shift the balance a bit leaner again.

     

    Regards

    Peter

  8. I really liked that Peter. Nice footage and the maps you include are really useful. I love that school of ribbon sweetlips.

     

    I like a video with voiceover explaining what we're seeing. There is perhaps a little bit too much of stating the obvious in this one, but don't reduce it too much!

     

    For me, the pacing is slightly fast in parts. In several places I wanted you to hold the shot a second longer. Sometimes sounded a bit like you had to rush to get the voiceover in before the shot changed.

     

    Oh, and it's a cobia, not a rainbow runner.

  9. For me, the pacing is slightly fast in parts. In several places I wanted you to hold the shot a second longer. Sometimes sounded a bit like you had to rush to get the voiceover in before the shot changed.

     

    Thanks for the great feedback.

     

    It's not from shortage of footage. I shoot most clips way longer than I will probably need. Learned that lesson the hard way. But I do always have trouble cutting down my footage for the short highlight video. Want to leave too many clips in. So I end up trimming it too tight. I should chop out more whole clips and give the remaining ones more space. I guess that's the downside of editing your own footage - too enamoured with the stuff I shot. Next time I'll do better, I promise.

     

    Oh, and it's a cobia, not a rainbow runner.

     

    Ouch, you are right. Should have looked it up in the fish book. I'd better fix the narration.

     

    Regards

    Peter

    Edited by peterbkk
Reef Photo & Video

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.