Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Sony Nex 5N setup for photo AND video

Started by kalani ·

  • 12Posts
  • 12Replies

Read-only discussion

Sony Nex 5N setup for photo AND video

12 posts
  1. Hello,

     

    I'm searching for a compact setup for photo and video.

    I 'm searching for a very good quality for stills AND video (I know that it is difficult).

     

    So, for the moment, here is the setup that I am planning to buy :

     

    1. Sony Nex 5N + 16mm Pancake + Fisheye + Nauticam housing + 36125 E mount 4.33' fisheye port

    2 and 3 : Dragonsub videolux (video lights)

    4 : Strobe: sea and sea YS-110A (or YS D01...)

    5 and 6 : Nauticam double tray

    7 : Nauticam ball + 1 multiple clamp

    8 : Nauticam ball + 1 simple clamp

    9 and 10 : 2 x 30cm arms

    11 : 2 x 20cm arms + 1 simple clamp

    12 : 1 simple clamp + sea and sea adapter

    13 et 14 : Ultralight universal focus adapter

    Extras : optic fiber in order to link the housing to the strobe

     

    What do you think about this setup?

    Do you think that the fisheye adapter in a good idea for video??

    I will probably have a problem if I want to take a photo in vertical mode...

     

    All your advices are welcome ;-)

     

    Sorry for my english

    post-35529-1329059734.jpg

  2. Looks like a well thought out setup. It seems you are more interested in video. Given your lens of choice typically 2 strobes would be the optimal for WA, CFWA shooting. Don't forget you can mount some of your lighting on the housing itself. Triple clamps are also a option. Here is one way to set-up 6863519943_ce51c6be2e_b.jpg[/img]

    Edited by NWDiver
  3. Hello NWDiver,

     

    Thank you for your answer.

    I read that in order to avoid backscatter, it is recommended to place the video lights on the horizontal line which go through the center of the lens (like the strobes on your example).

    So, in a 2 strobes + 2 video lights configuration, I don't know how to place the strobes and the lights without doing a lot of changes during the dive.

    What do you think?

     

    I have another question : I read that it is possible to shoot stills with video lights : http://www.divephotoguide.com/underwater-p...nuous-lighting/

    If I have 2 video lights and 1 strobe, do I have to turn off the video lights or is it better to keep video lights on AND use the strobe ?

     

    Thanks again for your help.

  4. Yes it is possible to shoot stills with video light, but unless your lights are very bright, you will be limited in use to smaller subjects where the lights can be closer in. The exposure will also require more open apertures,slower shutter speeds and higher ISO. except in shallow bright conditions where the lights could possible act as fill lights. Strobes will overpower equivalent power constant light sources by exponential facts because the light of exposure on a strobe is in the 1000ths of second for all the rated power.

     

    I would suggest you use a tri-clamp at the end of the arm assembly so you have the full range of motion to position both strobes and lights and avoid backscatter. I would also consider the buoyancy of the entire rig and make sure it's not to positive or negative.

  5. Hello Drew,

     

    Thank you for your answer. So, you mean that the end of the arms would look like the picture attached (at the bottom right)?

    If so, which length for the arms would you recommend? 1 x 30cm arm + 1 x 20cm arm on both sides?

     

    Concerning the global buoyancy, I don't know how to "validate" it before buying...

     

    Thanks again for your answers.

    post-35529-1329118577.jpg

    Edited by kalani
  6. Shooting video with a 16mm+wide adapter lens behind a dome port, is there a way to use any kind of UW filter... or... adjusting white balance is the only way to obtain more accurate colors?

  7. Hello Kalani,

     

    A couple of notes about your setup there....

     

    - on the Nauticam NEX-5N housing, you actually have a third option for mounting lights besides the tray handle tops. The housing has a spot to put a mounting ball on top of the housing itself using an M10 mounting ball.

     

    - the example that NWDiver gave and Drew mentioned uses a triple clamp instead of the Nauticam MP clamps. That will work; the MP clamps are new and not many people know about them yet. They do work for your intended use; I am using them in a similar way.

     

    - Shooting with the 16mm + wide adapter: The 16+wide works well. You might find the corners a bit sharper with the 16mm+fisheye, but if you are after the rectilinear look, then the WA adapter is the way to go. You can use a filter; you need to use a gel type filter (like magic filter, for instance) behind the lens. You will still want to do some white balance in camera.

     

    - Buoyancy: I suspect based on similar configurations that it will be a pound or two negative. You may want to add a little buoyancy once you get it all rigged up. Closed cell foam is a common solution.

     

    Cheers,

    Cp

     

     

    [edited for typo]

    Edited by Cp
  8. - on the Nauticam NEX-5N housing, you actually have a third option for mounting lights besides the tray handle tops. The housing has a spot to put a mounting ball on top of the housing itself using an M10 mounting ball.

     

    Hello,

     

    First of all, thank you for your answer.

    What are the positive points of using the spot on the housing (vs the spots on the trays)?

     

    Concerning wide angle and fish eye, I like the creative look of the fish eye for stills but for video, I think that I would prefer the wide angle... lol

     

    For custom white balance, I always have a white piece of plastic in my boardshort (picture attached) ;-)

    post-35529-1329205529.jpg

  9. What are the positive points of using the spot on the housing (vs the spots on the trays)?

     

    Just an extra place to mount lights... useful for focus light since it is closer to the center. Personally, I tend to use the mounting hole on the top to reduce how many handles I need on the rig. Less handles = less bulk and more ability to bring strobes/lights in close when needed.

     

    Cheers,

    Cp

  10. So, I updated the configuration :

     

    1. Sony Nex 5N + 16mm Pancake + Fisheye or wide angle + Nauticam housing + 36125 E mount 4.33' fisheye port

    2 and 3 : Dragonsub videolux (video lights)

    4 and 5: Strobes: sea and sea YS-110A (or YS D01...)

    6 and 7 : Nauticam double tray

    8 and 9 : 2 Nauticam balls + 2 simple clamps

    10 and 11 : 2 simple clamps

    12 and 13 : 2 x multiple clamps + 2 sea and sea adapters + 2 Ultralight universal focus adapters

    14 and 15 : 2 x 20 cm arms

    16 and 17 : 2 x 30 cm arms

    Extras : 2 x optic fiber in order to link the housing to the strobes

     

    What do you think??

     

    And the bas news is... the price!!!!

    Roughly speaking :

    housing + dome -> 2000 euros

    Arms , clamps and optical fibers -> 500 euros (ouch!!)

    Strobes -> 900 euros

    Video lights -> 600 euros

    Camera + 16mm pancake + fisheye converter -> 700 euros

     

    Total : more or less 4700 euros or more than 6000 USD !!!! outch!!! outch!!! outch!!!

    post-35529-1329238660.gif

  11. - Shooting with the 16mm + wide adapter: ..........You can use a filter; you need to use a gel type filter (like magic filter, for instance) behind the lens. You will still want to do some white balance in camera.

     

    Cheers,

    Cp

     

    Hi Cp,

     

    When you said "behind the lens" did you mean cutting a gel type Magic Filter to fit between the wide adapter and the 16mm pancake OR there's a filter holder that can fit behind the dome port (lens)?

     

    Also, will the Nauticam lens port for the 16mm pancake + WA setup allow the user to turn the focus ring manually to activate 5N's Manual Focus Assist feature to enlarge the screen image to 460%?

     

    Thanks!

  12. Wowzorz that's a lot of money.

    I just got myself a nauticam+nex-5 for about $1500 used off ebay. Plus a z-240, 18-55 lens/port, arms etc for about $1800 so total $3300 aud.

     

    And i thought that was a lot...

Retra

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.