Any ideas as to what to do with a body rinsed immediately with fresh water after a salt water flood? Is it worth anything?
... Tokina 10-17 too... drowned.
... also, what recommendations, as far as maintenance, should I do on the Subal CD7 housing?
Insurance should cover most of the loss.
Have it serviced and tested.
The electronics will probably go bad sooner or later if you flooded it in salt water.
Encase the camera and lens in clear casting resin and use it as a paper weight.
That sucks....do you know why it flooded?
If you rinsed it out .. I would close it up full of paper with clean if not new orings on it .. and take it for a dive .. see if it leaks again.
It could have been user error .. it could have been a bad seal etc etc... no harm in taking it diving without a camera.
If it works .. send it off for a service with details of what happened and they can pressure test it and replace all orings on buttons etc and any electronics that need it.
That sucks....do you know why it flooded?
Not yet. Sending it (Subal housing) to get serviced soon. Claimed the 7D on insurance w/full replacement. Lucky.
I sold my flooded body and lens to someone to use in an art project. They paid only for shipping.
-Gina
If you rinsed it out .. I would close it up full of paper with clean if not new orings on it .. and take it for a dive .. see if it leaks again.
It could have been user error .. it could have been a bad seal etc etc... no harm in taking it diving without a camera.
If it works .. send it off for a service with details of what happened and they can pressure test it and replace all orings on buttons etc and any electronics that need it.
Seal it up and dive. Hang out at 60 feet for about 20 minutes. If it doesn't leak there it shouldn't ever.
I've seen an eyelash get stuck on an o-ring and cause a flood.
Seal it up and dive. Hang out at 60 feet for about 20 minutes. If it doesn't leak there it shouldn't ever.
I've seen an eyelash get stuck on an o-ring and cause a flood.
Just put it all back together (minus the camera) and submerged it in the bath tub. No leaks.
Now I'm confused because I never got past the mooring buoy at the surface. Leads me to think I did something wrong instead of it being mechanical.
Have it serviced and tested.
The electronics will probably go bad sooner or later if you flooded it in salt water.
Anyone ever have all of that replaced? Cost?
Anyone ever have all of that replaced? Cost?
After my Ikelite housing flooded several years ago I had it serviced by the manufacturer. I seem to remember the cost was about $300. Other housings typically cost more to purchase and so may cost more for servicing, but I believe my Aquatica housing has fewer electronics (since it doesn't do TTL like the Ikelite) so maybe it evens out.
-Gina
Had a Gates housing flood back in the SD days with a Sony 2000 in it. The flood was completely my fault. Replaced the port and the housing was fine due to no electronics. The camcorder still sits in my back room as a reminder never to rush and makes a great doorstop.
Steve
I flooded my Subal ND2 housing. It was user error, assembled the system after being up most of the night in flying from Palau to Yap.
Had Reef Photo service the housing, they replaced all the electronics, changes all the o-rings and rebuilt it. It was $800+.
My insurance covered the rebuild, but would not cover a new housing.
Rule #1: O-rings first. Beer second...
Odds are the camera will never be right again. If you got the lens into distilled water pronto, it should be fine, although if your insurance company covers it, they'll likely opt to replace it.
I drowned a Nikon D7000 last month, thankfully only killed the body and everything else survived.
I Put it on D7000 body Ebay and sold it for $165 .00
There are parts that shouldnt get ruined in a flood, that can be removed from the body and listed on ebay for others to use as repair parts- if you have the insurance check in hand, I wouldnt sweat that level of effort- step back about 15 feet from a garbage recepticle and see if you can nail a free throw!
There are parts that shouldnt get ruined in a flood, that can be removed from the body and listed on ebay for others to use as repair parts- if you have the insurance check in hand, I wouldnt sweat that level of effort- step back about 15 feet from a garbage recepticle and see if you can nail a free throw!
Pretty much what I did.
Tokina would cost $400 to repair ... not. Cant trust the 7D anymore so it's done too ... along with batt. & CF card.