Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Greetings from above (and below) Caribbean waters

Started by Zanshin ·

  • 2Posts
  • 2Replies

Read-only discussion

Greetings from above (and below) Caribbean waters

2 posts
  1. Hello forum, I thought it would be polite to introduce myself before banging away at the keyboard with questions :D

     

    I am new to digital SLR photography, although I did a lot of photography with the old film cameras and developed my own negatives and prints (in black and white, I couldn't afford color) in years gone by. I was absolutely stunned at what a true digital SLR can produce and have now branched out into underwater photography.

     

    I live aboard a sailboat (see SV-Zanshin) and have installed a Bauer Junior II dive compressor so that I can fill up my own 2 high-pressure tanks at any time and location and am no longer dependant upon dive operators for tank fills and/or rentals; some locations don't fill tanks but require that you use the dive shop to go on dives and that can become rather expensive over time.

     

    I have the following gear:

     

    Nikon D7000

    Ikelite underwater housing with tray for flash

    Nikkor 35mm 1:1.8 lens with x2 and x4 diopters and the appropriate dome port

    Nikkor 10-24mm 1:3.5-4.5G lens with x2 diopter

    Ikelite DS160 flash

    Photoshop Elements 10 (which I consider an essential piece of gear, although I barely know the basic controls)

     

    In the past two weeks I've been doing a lot of shallow-water diving in St. Martin and St. Barths while I've been waiting for my boat's paperwork to finally arrive and have posted a lot of pictures, ranging in quality from barely acceptable to pretty nice on my blog pages at February blog calendar overview, if anyone is interested just go to that page and any day with an underwater thumbnail will have a number of underwater pictures. Looking back at the dives and the scenery I know that, if I only could use my equipment better, I could have had some absolutely stunning images to take back with me and am looking forward to getting the assistance and depth of knowledge in this forum to make the best with what I have.

     

    2012-02-fourchue-dive2-06.jpg2012-02-fourchue-dive-13.jpg2012-02-fourchue-dive-05.jpg2012-02-cr-murky-06.jpg

    2012-02-tug-04.jpg2012-01-chikuzen-03.jpg2012-02-cr-murky-02.jpg2012-02-cr-murky-10.jpg

    2012-02-cr-murky-13.jpg2012-02-fourchue-dive2-28.jpg

    Edited by Zanshin
  2. Hi Zanshin,

    Welcome to the Wetpixel community. There is much to learn here on any of the forums and I am sure you will be able to share as much with everyone else. Never been to St. Martin but had relatives who owned land there. Always wanted that invite but I was too young at the time to get it. I have heard that it is beautiful. Hope the diving is as well.

    Hope to see more of you on here.

    Steve

Keldan

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.