Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Cave Diving

Started by betti154 ·

  • 10Posts
  • 10Replies

Read-only discussion

Cave Diving

10 posts
  1. Hi,

     

    Here's a little video about cave diving and why we do it. I tried to showcase the good and bad to answer the question of why we do it. Cave footage shot in Florida with 7D, Aquatica and DIY LED video lights.

     

    I'm relatively new to video so feedback is welcome.

     

    [vimeohd]34730010[/vimeohd]

  2. Nice footage. Hard to get past all the macho nonsense that people are saying, though.

  3. Very nice and well shot!

  4. I liked it. I didn't find the psychological rational behind the cave diver's mentality to be macho spouting at all. There is a whole nother mentality beyond the normal sport diving that a good cave diver must have and self understanding is part of that. Thought their explanations were spot on. I've often said that I wished there were cave diving opportunities in the San Diego area, I would have been certified decades ago, but alas.

    Steve

  5. Very nice footage. Personally I thought the music was a little too "epic" to continue throughout. Didn't quite fit with the tone of the interviews. Maybe something a bit more echoey/spacey/new-agey might fit better.

  6. Nice footage. Hard to get past all the macho nonsense that people are saying, though.

     

    Interesting take on things. I can say that Fil and Nipper are fair from macho types, quite the opposite in many respects.

     

    I asked the interview questions and selectively edited their responses so am responsible for any macho spouting that you perceive. My intension was to convey the almost abstract way that cave divers I've met deal with risk. I think the blunt, harsh and almost comical comments about death, risk, etc... are a way to deal with it all, perhaps also a way to distant it from oneself. I'm no psychologist though, so take it with a grain of salt.

     

    Very nice footage. Personally I thought the music was a little too "epic" to continue throughout. Didn't quite fit with the tone of the interviews. Maybe something a bit more echoey/spacey/new-agey might fit better.

     

    Thanks. Picking music is a struggle for me so good to get feedback like this.

  7. Nice shooting Damien. Great story. We can talk music when you come on the boat in May. I have a couple of composers who really keen to write music for you to broadcast your footage for a good price. Also was very lucky to spend some time with one of the BBC's orchestra composer last year and we talked in depth about sound.

    PM me if you like I can talk at length about this as this really sets the mood for what you are showing.

    Talk soon

    Jules

  8. Nice shooting Damien. Great story. We can talk music when you come on the boat in May. I have a couple of composers who really keen to write music for you to broadcast your footage for a good price. Also was very lucky to spend some time with one of the BBC's orchestra composer last year and we talked in depth about sound.

    PM me if you like I can talk at length about this as this really sets the mood for what you are showing.

    Talk soon

    Jules

     

    Hey Jules, Long time no see.

     

    You going to be on Spoilsport 3-10 May? I'm quite looking forward to a week on the Coral Sea and GBR, though don't imagine I'll be shooting much if any video on that trip.

  9. Hey Jules, Long time no see.

     

    You going to be on Spoilsport 3-10 May? I'm quite looking forward to a week on the Coral Sea and GBR, though don't imagine I'll be shooting much if any video on that trip.

    Hi Damien

    Not sure what my roster is yet. But so far looks like could be. leave the videoing to me

    :-)

  10. Finally got time to watch this at home (with speakers!)

     

    I really like the talking people, cause a lot of the cave diving video is endless, unedited shots of people's behinds as they swim through cave. I think you could possibly do with some more underwater shots with divers coming towards you and making expressions. The clips of people entering and exiting restrictions were nice, bit of action stuff. A bit more light in the larger tunnels might help too, although I thought the lighting effect at about 4:10 was cool. Nice and short too.

Sea & Sea

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.