Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Use of SubSee 10x magnifier & 105mm VR, experiences please.

Started by Kilili ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

Use of SubSee 10x magnifier & 105mm VR, experiences please.

6 posts
  1. I'm thinking of getting one of these for my Subal 105mm VR port for the Nikon 105mm VR, and am looking for experiences on how well this works. I'm assuming DOF must be about zero. Can you compare against other solutions? Also, how does it affect subject distance?

     

    Thanks much,

    Edited by Kilili
  2. It is a fine combo. Optically I can't think of any better way to achieve such high magnification with a single item.

     

    You have a very narrow camera to subject distance to work with - all of which is pretty close to the camera. But you are likely to use this setup with subjects that don't move too much - so this doesn't matter. If you can try with small strobes - which make light positioning easier. At such close camera to subject distances you don't need a lot of welly.

     

    AFAIK, the +10 Subsee is their better seller - but whenever I have had both on workshops and they are available for people to borrow - the +5 is always the more popular, one people have tried them once. Unless you want ultimate magnification and intend to use the Subsee +10 at/or close to minimum focus on the lens - you will find the +5 is more suited to more subjects, more of the time.

     

    Alex

  3. It is a fine combo. Optically I can't think of any better way to achieve such high magnification with a single item.

     

    You have a very narrow camera to subject distance to work with - all of which is pretty close to the camera. But you are likely to use this setup with subjects that don't move too much - so this doesn't matter. If you can try with small strobes - which make light positioning easier. At such close camera to subject distances you don't need a lot of welly.

     

    AFAIK, the +10 Subsee is their better seller - but whenever I have had both on workshops and they are available for people to borrow - the +5 is always the more popular, one people have tried them once. Unless you want ultimate magnification and intend to use the Subsee +10 at/or close to minimum focus on the lens - you will find the +5 is more suited to more subjects, more of the time.

     

    Alex

     

    Wot Alex said, I got the +10 because I figured more was best, but in practise its often too much.

     

    Otara

  4. The Subsee +10 provides very fine optical quality, but some degradation is inevitable as you increase magnification.

     

    The magnification playing field is not level either, with some diopters tested and quoted in air and others in water. The +10 is an in-water measurement and in practice, is pretty much the most powerful magnifier around.

     

    Adam

  5. This is before and after with the Subsee +10 and the 105VR on the D7000, Nauticam housing and macro port 87.

     

    The impressive magnification and image quality speak for themselves I think, but I found you do need a lot of patience (and a buddy with patience) and benign water conditions.

     

    6559382613_281653513d_z.jpg

     

    Uncropped

     

    6559383555_97edd02e87_z.jpg

  6. The Subsee +5 and +10 are both terrific units - it's just a pity they don't stack!

Marelux

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.