Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Problems trying to create space on my Mac startup drive

Started by loftus ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

Problems trying to create space on my Mac startup drive

6 posts
  1. My 1TB Startup Drive on my Mac is full, so I am trying to make space by keeping my 'Movies' folder on a second drive and using a Movies folder alias on the primary drive to access the files on the 2nd drive. I copied the Movies folder to the second drive, then trashed the original folder and created an alias on the primary. Well when I fire up Final Cut or iMovie, they start up as if I am starting them for the first time with no Events or Projects to be seen. Also get the following message.

     

    The selected SAN location is already in use.

    The storage location "jeffreyhartog" on this computer is already in use by "(null)" on "(null)". To access the location, quit Final Cut Pro on "(null)" or remove the location.

     

    Can anyone help?

    Edited by loftus
  2. Seems like I fixed it by avoiding the Movies alias folder, just keeping all the folders separate on the drive.

    Thanks, I'd delete this if I could,

  3. Something I learned going through the same experience...

     

    Moving the files within iMovie or Final Cut keeps the everything together. I found my answer here

  4. Hey Loftus,

    Check this out...http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/event_manager_douglas.html

    Steve

  5. Thanks; both very helpful.

  6. Hey Loftus,

    Just re read your post. You are doing a great disservice to your system by filling up your boot drive which will only slow down and cause some major problems for you in the future. Keep all media files whether they be your post production music, video files, photos etc on an external drive or RAID. Your applications on your boot but your projects and events and the media that is a part of them should be on an external drive. These should also be backed up on a separate drive. I also have a 1 TB boot drive with about 350gigs used. Everything else, including back ups and different archives are kept on externals which should never be filled more than 80-85%. Also, always have back ups to your back ups. I also create system back ups for my desktop and laptop which I run every couple of weeks. I use an external for nothing other than the two system backups. You might never need them but should the time come that you do, you will be happy to have it. I did system backups for years and never needed to use them once....that is until about a month ago when I screwed something up and the system back ups saved my sorry ass.

    Steve

Sea & Sea

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.