Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Stix Arms and ULCS Clamps

Started by johnjvv ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

Stix Arms and ULCS Clamps

7 posts
  1. Hello,

     

    I am getting some buoyancy for my camera and have seen that 2 x 6 inch Stix arms with floats will cost about 100, as opposed to getting two 8 inch ULCS arms and floats which would cost about 130.

     

    My existing setup uses ULCS clamps, are they compatible with Stix Arms or will the damage the ball at the end of the Stix arms which appears to be rubber?

     

    Would appreciate anyone's advise on this.

     

    Cheers,

    John

  2. Hello,

     

    I am getting some buoyancy for my camera and have seen that 2 x 6 inch Stix arms with floats will cost about 100, as opposed to getting two 8 inch ULCS arms and floats which would cost about 130.

     

    My existing setup uses ULCS clamps, are they compatible with Stix Arms or will the damage the ball at the end of the Stix arms which appears to be rubber?

     

    Would appreciate anyone's advise on this.

     

    Cheers,

    John

     

    I use the Ultralight Arms with the Stix floats and love them. Can't go wrong with that combo. ULCS are the gold standard as far as I'm concerned. Ive tried others, but I haven't tried the stix arms or even looked at them. What make ULCS different is the o ring on the ball end. It helps keep the arms locked in place.

     

    Kirk

  3. I use Stix arms and find them very good. Very lightweight and a modular system so you can add/remove buoyancy as you wish. I also sell them, caveat....

  4. Alex since you sell them can you answer the OP's question "My existing setup uses ULCS clamps, are they compatible with Stix Arms or will the damage the ball at the end of the Stix arms which appears to be rubber?" ? I am curious too.

  5. I have used the Stix arms with ULCS clamps going on 5+ years now. They work well, the only draw back is that the early Stix ball ends were a softer plastic/polymer and would get chewed up a bit when really tightening the clamps. That was easily solved, since the ball ends can be exchanged. The new ball ends are harder and it is not really a problem now.

     

    Elmer

    Edited by eyu
  6. Thanks....

     

    Did a little comparison of lift vs approx cost however this does not take into account the negative buoyancy of the Ultralight 8" Double Ball Arm segment as I dont know what it weighs.

     

    Ultralight 8" Large Buoyancy arm - 2" diameter - $68 - Lift 4.5 oz

    Ultralight 8" Double Ball Arm segment - $66 - 12 oz

    StiX 6" Strobe Arm with 2 large floats - $45 - 9 oz

     

    Seems like the Stix arms is the best value for money but I am afraid of them getting munched up by the ULCS clamps...

  7. Seems like the Stix arms is the best value for money but I am afraid of them getting munched up by the ULCS clamps...

     

    The ULCS clamps work well and really don't munch up the Stix ball ends. I have both ULCS and Stix arms and prefer to use the Stix arms because they are lighter and give me adequate buoyancy with the large floats where I would need a few jumbo floats if I used my ULCS arms.

Fotosub Shop

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.