Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Would you buy an S3 Pro? POLL

Started by MrFish ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

Would you buy an S3 Pro? POLL

5 posts
  1. Would you buy an S3 Pro? POLL

    So given the info currently available on the S3 would you buy it for underwater use?

  2. I think you need to modify your poll to say "Would you buy an S3 for $X,XXX"

     

    Cheers

    James

  3. In the vein of James' comment

     

    $2,500 No, and neither will many other people...

    $2,000 No, I'd buy an S2 2nd hand from someone who is upgrading.

    $1,500 Yes, I would be interested. Depends if Nikon brings out a D100 "x"/D200 at this price point or not.

    $1,250 Yes, I am interested

    $1,000 Here's my credit card number, can you overnight it??

     

    My perspective is as an incipient dSLR buyer who felt that the available F-mount dSLRs weren't quite where I wanted them to be. The S3 isn't where I want a dSLR to be either, but those that are where I want them to be, technically, are not where my Mastercard wants them to be (IE the D1 MkII, D2H, 1Ds).

     

    If this new body is priced low enough that good numbers of existing S2 owners decide to upgrade, I will think long and hard about buying a 2nd hand body. That way there is a prexisting housing/strobe combination that will work.

     

    If the S3 is priced around the d100 (or a subsequent replacement), then it is a contender. At least I already own a d-TTL flash so that is a little bit less of an issue.

  4. If the results were significantly better, TTL still works with current strobes , and the price is <$1500. Yes

     

    Otherwise, I don't think you can improve on the S2 a lot for macro, which is my primary interest for a housed camera.

  5. You can currently get a 14n for $1700-1800 after rebate. Hard to house currently, but comparing S3 specs to the 14n, no way I'd pay more than (or even as much as) the current 14n price.

Kraken Sports

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.