Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Panasonic GX1 housings

Started by davephdv ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

Panasonic GX1 housings

7 posts
  1. I checked with several manufactures to see if they would be making GX1 housings.

     

    Nauticam said they were finishing testing and would release a housing soon. Said their dealers have the model number and the housing is available for preordering.

     

    Subal said they would have a housing on the market for this camera in April.

     

    The others said no. I didn't query every possible manufacturer, just the ones I have considered buying from in the past. There are probably other housings out there. I even ran across some Japanese site that had photos of a housing.

  2. I checked with several manufactures to see if they would be making GX1 housings.

     

    Nauticam said they were finishing testing and would release a housing soon. Said their dealers have the model number and the housing is available for preordering.

     

    Subal said they would have a housing on the market for this camera in April.

     

    The others said no. I didn't query every possible manufacturer, just the ones I have considered buying from in the past. There are probably other housings out there. I even ran across some Japanese site that had photos of a housing.

     

     

    I know 10 bar will also have one...not a huge choice, but some very nice case makers. Not sure why Ikelite is not interested in any of the mirrorless camera's. Would seem to a perfect fit for them.

  3. At least 3 housings for this camera. A good range of choices if the subal comes through.

     

    I use to know old Ike, wish I could pick his brain as to why they don't. Maybe they are just waiting to pick the one camera line that they think will be most popular to house.

     

    The cannon G1X seems like it should be given the Ikelite treatment.

  4. Dave, I find it a great puzzle also. I have the GH1, and it is a dream camera to use underwater, and with all the issues travelling with a large camera, as well as the lower cost to purchase a system, one would think the GX1 would be a match made in heaven.

     

    I love Canon for land images...actually I am longing for a medium format digital (if the price ever comes down to something reasonable), but both the G1X (which should be a lovely land camera...I still have a G10, S90 and 50D) has lost it's macro capabiity (which sucks)...and the new Fuji has a 60 mm macro....which would have the same field of view as the Pany 45, but the 45 has much better dof...

     

    I've had several students this last year with entry level Nikons DSLR's and their 60mm macro, and they stuggle taking images with the tiny dof on macro stuff, where the Panasonic is easy (but this is dark, low vis conditions). I would expect the Gx1 to be better than my GH1.

    Edited by Puffer Fish
  5. These may be the first underwater pictures from the GX-1:

     

    Visit our housing test site at Smugmug

     

    Edward

     

    Wow, there are nice shots in there.... but that whale shark one is awesome. Really sharp.

    P1010068-X2.jpg

     

    I'm definitely looking forward to trying out GX1 underwater.

     

    Cheers,

    CP

  6. The Nauticam housing was reviewed in the latest UWP: http://www.uwpmag.com/

     

    The standard port for the compact zoom has a 67mm thread. Is this purely intended for macro magnifying lenses or could this be used for WA lenses as well?

     

    There are a number of WA lenses with that thread, but I wonder what the limitations are in terms of "iris" for these lenses, maybe they vignette on a m4/3 as they were designed for compact cameras originally.

     

    Anyone who could shed some light on this from a theoretical perspective, or maybe someone has already tried it (Nauticam?)?

     

    Cheers

    /O

    Edited by oskar
Isotta

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.