Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

minidomes FX and DOF

Started by sharky1961 ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

minidomes FX and DOF

7 posts
  1. Hi,

     

    I am considering buying a minidome. I want to shoot dolphins and whales with it. I am a bit worried about what F-stop I have to use with FX. I know for DX it should be around F-11 to get decent DOF. For FX I think it should be even higher. What are the experieces of people shooting FX??

    Has some body used minidomes with FX cameras shooting dolphins or whales. What F-stop did you use to get usesable DOF??

     

    Rob

  2. Less of an issue when your subjects are far away and corners of the frame will be blue water. Actual value depends on the size of the dome and lens choice. Also your 16mm will struggle to focus behind some of the really small domes.

     

    Alex

  3. Taken with Nikon D700 (FX), 15mm Sigma FE, Subal w/ Zen 100mm domeport, no strobes. 1/200, f10, ISO 640.

     

     

    post-3320-1330708735.jpg

  4. I probably should add that the Zen mini-dome is not "off the shelf". Ryan Cannon custom built it for the D700/Subal housing/ Sigma 15mm FE.

     

    Thank you Ryan! I love this little dome port!

     

    Fletcher

  5. great shot Fletcher.

     

    is it a big diffference ( more easy)snorkling with the minidome compared with the normal Subal dome??

     

    Rob

  6. I can't imagine there is much difference. I got the mini dome for CFWA. I think it is easier to light the foreground when using a smaller dome port.

  7. Nice whaleshark!

WaterPixels Store

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.