Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

NEX-5N new firmware improves AF speed!

Started by A.Y. ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

NEX-5N new firmware improves AF speed!

7 posts
  1. 5N's AF speed is much improved with the new firmware. Here's a video showing before and after firmware update:

     

    I think all of the 5N users on this forum will be interested!

  2. I tried the update on my mac and it is not working with 64 bit-I can reboot into 32, but it is a pain!

     

    Adam

  3. I tried the update on my mac and it is not working with 64 bit-I can reboot into 32, but it is a pain!

     

    Adam

     

    Has anyone gotten this to work? I'm interested in hearing if it is a noticeable difference in real life.

     

    Cheers,

    Cp

  4. I updated fairly easily on a Windows 7 machine but it's a weird way to update compared to say Canon's firmware update. You need to restart the camera in order for update to proceed after the software verifies that the camera needs updating, they couldn't just start the update after verification. Had to do it twice before I realized why it didn't work.

     

    AF from near to far seemed slightly improved, had no issues locking on to stuff in my basement studio, the NEX-5 had issues at times but the 5n got positive lock.

     

    S.

  5. Has anyone gotten this to work? I'm interested in hearing if it is a noticeable difference in real life.

     

    Cheers,

    Cp

     

    The UK version that supports 1080 50p is available.

     

    The US version that supports 1080 60p is not yet released! Hopefully, it will be soon! I'm most interested in finding out if the video AF is also improved.

  6. 5N's AF speed is much improved with the new firmware. Here's a video showing before and after firmware update:

     

    Just updated 5N's firmware, and the AF speed is noticeably faster with much less "hunting" back and forth just like what was shown in the video.

     

    The firmware also fixed one annoying video AF problem - with the "Center Focus Area" selected, the video AF no longer locks focus onto higher contrast areas off to the side. Video AF transitions very smoothly from foreground to background with less "hunting" also.

     

    NEX-5N U.S. firmware 1.0.1

     

    FYI, I booted OS X 10.6.8 into 32 bit by holding down the "3" and "2" keys.

    Edited by A.Y.
  7. Just posted two short 5N's video autofocus tests done after the firmware update. The contrast-detection video AF is camcorder quality - pretty smooth and steady, but not fast like the Sony Alpha SLT cameras with phase-detection video AF.

     

    First part: Using touchscreen to select AF areas

    Second part: Using just the center AF point

     

    Length: 45 seconds http://alyudesign.com/sony_nex5n.html#vaf

    Edited by A.Y.
Fotosub Shop

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.