Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

5dMk3 vs 7D Housing

Started by betti154 ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

5dMk3 vs 7D Housing

3 posts
  1. Hi,

     

    Upon reading some of the reviews about the 5dMk3 being based on the 7D body and seeing the visual similarities, I did a wishful comparison of the two bodies. Images were rescaled using 1:3 (mm:pixel) and then over layed.

     

    I'm no expert on this kind of thing, though doesn't look real good.

     

    Body-Compare-Back-5dmk3-7D.png

     

    Body-Compare-Front-5dmk3-7D.png

     

    Body-Compare-Top-5dmk3-7D.png

     

    The source Photoshop files with layers can be downloaded from here.

  2. Hi,

     

    Upon reading some of the reviews about the 5dMk3 being based on the 7D body and seeing the visual similarities, I did a wishful comparison of the two bodies. Images were rescaled using 1:3 (mm:pixel) and then over layed.

     

    I'm no expert on this kind of thing, though doesn't look real good.

     

    Body-Compare-Back-5dmk3-7D.png

     

    Body-Compare-Front-5dmk3-7D.png

     

    Body-Compare-Top-5dmk3-7D.png

     

    The source Photoshop files with layers can be downloaded from here.

     

    I guess this kills the idea of my Aquatica housing for my 5D MII working...Jesus..can't they leave some of this shit alone!

     

     

     

    The Meltdownman

  3. This is closer than I got...if you crop the rear views of the 7D & 5dmk3 so there's no white space then using Image Size in PS, uncheck the "Maintain Proportions" Box. Then change the image size to what the specs say. Overlay those. If align them by the bottom edge, the then the larger size of the 5dmk3 is very obvious. The bottom edge of the viewfinder of the 5dmk3 will be halfway up the 7d's viewfinder. There's no way to access the new Q button, the joystick will be out too. There's also no guarantee that the rear command dial will line up.

     

    At the front, the lens of the 5d sits about 1/4" higher, that will affect dome port performance.

     

    Given the height diffrence, the shutter button and forward control wheel won't likely line up too...

     

     

    S.

AOI

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.