Hi,
I read this thread with some interest as I've gone about mounting my 7D Aquatica rig on both a N-19 and Cuda 400. I'm using the SS video mount which is nice enough. I haven't used the Dive-Xtras video mount, but opted for the SS one as it was mostly build from delrin and I suspect will be less negative. I had to DIY a custom mount to adapta the Aquatica to the mounting plate; I did this to raise the rig off the plate for the 8" dome Im using and to mount it as the holes didn't align anyway.
I've been using the rig in caves dives (mostly Florida) and deeper wreck stuff (50-100m range). My experience to date has been mixed, soem success and some dismal failures.
I solved the buoyancy/trim issue using 50mm diameter PVC pressure pipe, 300mm in length. I glued the pressure (domed) end caps on these and they've been to 120m so I've no concern about depth. I haven't calculated the buoyancy but they seem to provide anouth lift to get the rig neutral - trim is a little shot but scooter even in high flow caves was ok.
I literally strapped these buoyancy pipes to the scooter body, then put on the mount and then clicked in camera. Issue number one is that with the floats on the scooter, if there camera is not mounted it makes the scooter unusable. After some dramas the other day on the surface (where I couldn't clip in the camera) I've decided that floats must go on the camera, so that the scooter is usable without the camera mounted. I'm going to work on a quick disconnect system that mounts these to the base of the Aquatica handles, in parallel to the direct of travel to minimise drag. Quick disconnect because at the last minute on a deep dive I may decide not to mount the camera to scooter and want to ensure I have some flexibility on the dive deck of a boat.
My other comment is engagine the camera with mounting plate to the scooter with other hald of mount is annoying on the surface in nice conditions. it becomes hard in a mild current (you get blow off the boat) and absolutely idiotic in a 4kt current (yes I did that too). I've not been game enough to mount the camera to the scooter and have to thrown in the water; it would be ideal but the boats we dive off are either too big or too small to allow this, plus support crew is limited. Cave entry/operation is somewhat easier due to the controlled environment.
For what it's worth, I did a brain dump of my initial thoughts at http://damiensiviero.com/scooter-dpv-mounted-video/
With regard to lights, I'm using either self contained handhelds (similar to your aquavolts) when I can get away with it. When I need lots of like, I using two 100w LED heads on cables to canisters that I just clip off to myself. The latter setup is ok when running, but getting the lights setups, canister clipped off, etc.... again on the surface (or bottom) is a pain in the ass. I don't use E/O style QD cables, though I imagine this woujld make things easier.
I too considered hooking into the Cuda power outlet but since it doesn't have an on/off switch, the E/O connector is always live and doesn't mix well with salt water. I could imagine a scenario where the E/O cable got ripped out which wouldn't be good from an electrolysis point of view (from what I've gathered). My Cuda 400 also has a limited battery capacity and doesn't have the necessary juice to run 200w of light + the Cuda at full speed.
Incidentally I thought drag would be a major concern, but in practice it had not been. Heaps of power in the Cuda and even an UV-26 held up nicely in Ginnie Springs, though the flow was down.