The latest generation of micro 4/3 cameras, in particular the highly anticipated Olympus OM-D E5, has finally managed to make me consider upgrading from my trusted Canon 20D/Ikelite combo. Full reviews from production-quality cameras are not in yet but from all the chatter and pre-production impressions I think the OM-D is going to be a winner that will keep me happy for the next 5+ years as the 20D has managed to do.
The "problem" is that I have a two week trip to Anilao coming up on May 25 and I need to decide to upgrade now or postpone for one more cycle, which typically means one more year. I would love to have a more compact setup, probably better all-round performance, and especially access to video. I am hesitating because the lens I would really want to go with it is the announced Olympus 60mm macro lens but that won't be available until later this year. If the OM-D is better than the 20D in all aspects except macro I probably stick with the 20D for another year. The other advantage of waiting is that I would be able to at least consider an aluminum housing.
So I have two main questions that I hope current m4/3 users can help me with
- is there a completely satisfactory macro setup for m4/3 right now. (I am not eager to buy the expensive Panasonic 45mm macro as a stop-gap solution but perhaps the Olympus 50mm F2 plus adapter could be considered)
- how capable are the Olympus UW housings. I have been generally happy with Ikelite and my main interest in considering an Alu-housing is to combine it with an external viewfinder which I expect is not an option with an Olympus housing.
If I bite the bullet I anticipate to get the 12-50mm kit lens plus the Panasonic 20mm F1.7. I am not interested in anything wider than that, at least for now. I already have a Sea&Sea YS110a strobe that should work with fiber-optic TTL.
Looking forward to benefit from the social network wisdom on wetpixel.
Bart