Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Hermit crabs - Pacific NW

Started by Alex_Mustard ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

Hermit crabs - Pacific NW

6 posts
  1. Struggling to ID these two hermit crabs, from Port Hardy, Vancouver Island. Not rare, just lack reference books from that area (I only have Marine Life Of Pacific North West - and I can't get anything definite from that on these).

     

    post-713-1332177559.jpg

     

    post-713-1332177648.jpg

     

    I presume that they are the same species.

     

    Alex

    Edited by Alex_Mustard
  2. Hey Alex,

     

    Those look like Pagarus beringanus to me, Bering Hermit Crabs.

     

    The look nice against the Gersemia rubiformis in the top picture, don't they?

     

    Cheers,

     

    -jon

  3. Hey Alex,

     

    I'm no hermit crab expert by any stretch, but they look like Greenmark hermits (Pagurus caurinus) to me. I checked with Pacific Coast Crabs and Shrimp (Jensen) and Marine Life of the Pacific Northwest (Lamb, Hanby).

     

    Hope that helps!

     

    Lee

  4. Thank you!

     

    Alex

  5. According to Greg Jensen, he is in agreement with Jon, they are juvenile P. beringanus.

     

    Hope that helps.

     

    Lee

  6. Thank you again!

Scuba.com

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.