Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

No D3/D3s Housing from Ikelite?

Started by rzxrey ·

  • 10Posts
  • 10Replies

Read-only discussion

No D3/D3s Housing from Ikelite?

10 posts
  1. Is there a reason behind Ikelite not making a d3s/d3 housing? I shoot with a D3 and I love ikelite. Wish they would just make a D3 housing. I know there are alternatives but those are too pricey. Now I just use a d70s underwater.

    **new to UW Photography.

  2. Numbers. Nikon sells many, many more D300 and D7000 cameras than D3/D3s. Housing manufacturer's focus on the cameras likely to sell the most housings, as designing building a new housing is expensive.

     

    Alex

  3. Is it not size. They are also not offering housings for the canon 1D series models. These cameras have an integrated vertical grip / battery pack that will make fitting them in the housing mold impossible. Ikelite used to have an MD size housing (I still have an old one for a Minolta camera) that was considerably bulkier then the current lineup.

  4. I see. So i guess they are also going to pass on the D4? Its almost identical in size to the D3 series. Imagine an ultra high ISO/ hd camcorder combo underwater coupled with DS strobes, wouldn't that be great? I hope they make one.

  5. If I had D3 or D3s I wouldn`t be brave enough to put it in Ikelite housing... But this is just my opinion!

  6. Same reason why there wasn't a D2x Ikelite housing, the cameras are too big and the housing for them is gigantic.

  7. I really see no call for that. Strictly Ikelite housing career, my only housing leak was when an oring was twisted, i spotted it because i could see triclets of water, in a "better" aluminium housing, the camera would've been lost

    (without alarms).

     

    If I had D3 or D3s I wouldn`t be brave enough to put it in Ikelite housing... But this is just my opinion!
  8. expensive big cameras in cheap Ikelite or Sea&Sea housings? No way, did not happen with D3/D3s nor with D4. Buyers of such cams go with Subal or Seacam, maybe Aquatica if at all. just my opinion.

  9. Considering the relatively short "lifetime" when a digital camera is "top quality", after which you may want to upgrade, a relatively inexpensive housing, like Ikelite, makes sense. Maybe a lot more sense than putting a two thousand dollar DSLR into a five or six thousand dollar housing.

     

    Fred

  10. Considering the relatively short "lifetime" when a digital camera is "top quality", after which you may want to upgrade, a relatively inexpensive housing, like Ikelite, makes sense. Maybe a lot more sense than putting a two thousand dollar DSLR into a five or six thousand dollar housing.

     

    Fred

     

    I totally agree with you. Although, somebody did sell me once a Nexus D300 housing for $400 but still I opted to go with the ikelite instead. They have ports for most of the lenses that I own. No regrets. I have been happy with the Ikelite. Still, a D3 housing would be nice though, for me at least since I do own one for land use.

Aquatica

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.