For the past 15+ years, I'd always shot an Ikelite-housed Nikon N90s, for the past 10 years with a pair of Ikelite 200 (pre-digital) strobes. I've finally gone digital and purchased an Ikelite housing for my Nikon D200 and a pair of Ikelite DS160 strobes for an upcoming trip back to Anilao.
With my film rig, 99% of my macro shooting was with a 60mm lens where I'd shoot the strobes on TTL, the camera on aperture-priority (the shutter on the N90s would sync at 1/60) and matrix metering and adjust the aperture according to the distance of the strobes to the subject. My primary subjects are small, slow-moving creatures such as nudibranchs, mantis shrimp, etc. where getting as close as I'd like to the subjects is rarely an issue. The vast majority of the time the exposure was correct unless the subject was white or black, in which case I'd adjust the EV accordingly.
A couple questions:
1. Is there a reason the vast majority of digital macro shooters seem to shoot at faster shutter speeds than 1/60 for the kinds of subjects I mentioned? It seems to me that shooting at 1/60 would allow smaller apertures and therefore more depth of field. Am I missing something?
2. Is there a good reason not to shoot the D200 on aperture-priority at ISO 200 using TTL and matrix metering? As I shot Velvia (ISO 50) typically at apertures of f16-f32 and almost never had issues of insufficient strobe power, it seems to me that insufficuent strobe power will be even less of an issue with the increased ISO. I realize that there are potential diffraction issues at very small apertures that didn't exist when shooting film, but that aside, is there a good reason why I shouldn't shoot my D200 with similar settings as I used with my N90s setup?
Thanks!