Skip to content

Copyright Issues, Non-Payment, Fraud, Theft / Archived topic

Pinterest

Started by jmauricio ·

  • 8Posts
  • 8Replies

Read-only discussion

Pinterest

8 posts
  1. Just wanted to make everyone aware. A relatively new social media site is growing like a weed. Pinterest.

     

    http://tinyurl.com/6phjmk

    The premise for the site is to Pin items that are of interest to you and share them with others. There is massive scope for pinning interesting photos that are the works of others. The site is gaining in popularity, despite some question marks over the legal ramifications. http://tinyurl.com/6nagwfc

     

    If you prefer not to have your images Pinned, here is a way to stop it (or at least the majority) http://tinyurl.com/7en8ssu

    Hope this helps.

     

    PS: sorry for all the linkage. I have no affiliation to the site in question, but they have covered this ad nauseum.

  2. Read the terms of use at Pinterest very carefully. Last time I checked, all pinned content automatically grants Pinterest commercial rights, including sub-licensing. There is no mention of sharing any revenue with the actual owners of the content...but should we be surprised at that?

     

    The other concern is one of liability. Members are responsible for Pinterests (and their own presumably) reasonable legal and accounting costs if things go down the pan.

     

    Based on those terms, I wouldn't pin my own images. Let alone someone elses work.

    Edited by decosnapper
  3. Pinterest is good for traffic. I pin my own images but I choose what to pin so that I'm not overly concerned should something be misused. Simply link each picture to your own website and it can drive a surprising amount of traffic. I'd be more careful about using other people's images as I think the copyright issue could get very sticky there before it's over.

  4. It may seem harmless enough to some to have their work "Pinned" on Pinterest but I think it is insidious.

     

    It is breach of copyright pure and simple and it also promulgates the misconception that all images on the net are free for all.

     

    The easiest/quickest way to serve a DMCA take down notice is here- http://pinterest.com/about/copyright/dmca/

     

    Make sure you tick 'Strike' so that repeat offenders will have their Pinterest account terminated.

     

     

    Cheers,

    Jim.

  5. Thanks for that Jim. I have found some of my stuff pinned there without my knowledge but I filled in their complaint form and it was removed within 24 hours. Didn't know about the "strike" bit tho'

  6. Found a possibly even better way to report Pinterest copyright infringments that might bring about some accountability of Pinterest.

     

    http://pinterest-out...is-page-up.html

     

    http://support.googl...4905&page=ts.cs

     

    Will use this method from now rather than let Pinterest simply wipe the slate clean every time.

     

     

    This sounds good...but I think I'm missing something...how can reporting an image hosted on Pinterest be attributed to Google? Do you remove the image from Google search results?

  7. Yeah just following the logic from the first link, clutching at straws perhaps?

     

    Just looking at a different tack as I felt the Pinterest form would not in itself engender any change.

     

    Is there a US government dept to report/flag infringements of this type?

     

    Cheers,

    Jim.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.