Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Might be mites?

Started by Alex_Mustard ·

  • 8Posts
  • 8Replies

Read-only discussion

Might be mites?

8 posts
  1. Can anyone help with these wee beasties? Its funny how freshwater can be so confusing. Its an alien world compared with the sea.

     

    Photographed in a river here in Sardinia - very small (<2mm), but quite mobile.

     

    post-713-1332781286.jpg

     

    post-713-1332781260.jpg

     

    Alex

  2. I couldnt help with the species, but they are water mites. Very similar to this one in Dutch fresh water (although I have no idea how varied they are as well)

     

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/cerianthus/59...157600059344409

     

    (I dont seem to be able to embed a flickr pic any more, even though it is my own) Image is cropped by the way.

  3. Thank Gerard,

     

    Do you know the latin name of the Dutch ones?

     

    Alex

  4. I had a look if I could find it, but it turns out they are not identifiable to species from a picture. According to a dutch "atlas" work, there are 234 species in the Netherlands. http://www.repository.naturalis.nl/document/45797 (a pdf opens, the occurence of each species is summarized in english.

     

    Out of forum posts, the genus of red watermites in the netherlands should be Hydrodroma.

  5. alex: were the pics a 100mm + diopter job? I have to try to get better shots of these in the netherlands as well.

  6. Thanks,

     

    Yes - 105mm and FIT +5. But cropped a bit too.

     

    Alex

  7. The chapter on mites in Ecology and Classification of North American Freshwater Invertebrates 2nd ed. is over 100 pages long! It contains two dichotomous keys one for larvae and one for adults. Just a few B&W pix, mostly EMs.

    Nice shots BTW!!!

    I have photographed one on a salmon alevin - see red spot on tail. The alevin is about 1 inch long.

    Tom

    post-3540-1332819303.jpg

  8. Hi Alex,

    have a look here: http://www.watermite.org/

    You may contact Dr. Reinhard Gerecke or another member of the research group, i am sure that they will help you and be excited about your excellent pictures.

    Chris

Marelux

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.