Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Subal D7000 lens/dome port combination

Started by foto-diver ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Subal D7000 lens/dome port combination

4 posts
  1. I have a a Nikon D7000 in a Subal housing. My experience with wide angle has only been wide angle close up with a Tokina 10-17 w/1.4 tele behind a Zen 4" dome. I'm headed for Cocos Is in May and have concerns that my current wide angle combination is not the best for what I will encounter at Cocos Is. I will be using two S&S YS-250s.

     

    I would appreciate any recommendations on dome port/lens combinations that would be best for the longer range, larger subjects and reduced lighting I will most like encounter at Cocos Island. It's my understanding that it will be very difficult to close in shots of the schooling and individual larger subjects with a standard regulator.

     

    I have done a search on this site with mixed and some outdated advice.

     

    Thank you,

    David

  2. Hi David,

    I had some luck with the 10-17 and the little Zen Dome on my 7D and YS-250's at Cocos last summer. You're right that the hammers really don't like the bubbles so while I can't recommend you hold you're breath, it does help if you breath really slowly at the appropriate time.

     

    Both of these were shot at the 17mm end of the lens.

     

    6025746617_113ca46fcf_z.jpg

     

     

     

    6025796633_90781cde43_z.jpg

     

     

    You can see some more images with the setup on the flickr page.

     

    Cheers,

    Steve

  3. Thank you Steve.

     

    Were you using a tele on the 10-17?

     

    What ISO did you use?

     

    I know you a Canon guy, but the basic concepts in lenses are the same. Your thoughts on an f2.8 vs an f4.0 lens in this type of shooting.

     

    David

  4. Were you using a tele on the 10-17?

     

    What ISO did you use?

     

    I know you a Canon guy, but the basic concepts in lenses are the same. Your thoughts on an f2.8 vs an f4.0 lens in this type of shooting.

     

    David

     

     

    No tele on the Tokina David, typical for the somewhat dark,(rainy season) deep Cocos, I was using ISO200. Jump setting was F 7.1 at 125th.

     

    Cheers,

    Steve

Sea & Sea

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.