Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

unusual octopus in Malta

Started by grech ·

  • 11Posts
  • 11Replies

Read-only discussion

unusual octopus in Malta

11 posts
  1. Hey all, I found this guy yesterday on a night dive at Cirkewwa in Malta. He was out on open sand in about 35m and he was about 30-40 cm from arm tip to arm tip

     

    It doesn't look like any octopus Ive ever seen here (we normally get the common octopus and the white spotted ones) and I can't find it in the basic i.d. book I have or on the net

     

    It looked and behaved kind of like a mimic octopus but without the colouration

     

    any ideas?

     

    here's a close up

    post-29263-1332959910.jpg

    post-29263-1332960044.jpg

  2. I wonder if it might be an Atlantic Longarm Octopus, Macrotritopus defillipi?

     

    Cheers,

    Jim.

  3. He's beautiful! Amazing how large he can flatten his arms are... even wider than his head.

  4. he really is beautiful and the way he changed shape as he moved about was really interesting

     

    Jim I think you might be right. Do you know if the range includes the Med? Google mentions the caribbean

  5. It is a "Octopus Macropus" or Atlantic White-spotted Octopus, White-spotted Octopus, Grass Octopus or Grass scuttle or Polpessa in italian.

    There are not rare, but usually nobody dives deep at night so they are not very often spottet but a common victim of bottim fishing on sandy bottom during night.

    What i did not know tiull now is that they can become almost transparent and this makes grechs pictures very unique!

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octopus_macropus

    Chris

    Edited by ChrigelKarrer
  6. Hi chris thanks for the info but Im pretty sure it's not a white spotted octopus as Ive seen many of them (always at night) and this one was very different both in colouration - though as you say this can change - and in body shape since the arms seem to have a mantle-like skin flap all the way down whereas the white spotted octopus doesnt seem to have it to the same extent

     

    Ive sent the pics to a local scientist working on alien species in Maltese waters and he seems to agree it's a Macrotritopus defillipi but he's checking on it. Ill let you know what he concludes

  7. I don't think it is the polpessa either - unless a very young one. It does look like the atlantic long arm octopus - although I've only seen those in West Atlantic and also only during the day (plus they are not known in the Med). In reality the population of mimic's in Egypt are closer.

     

    Ozaena cirrhosa is worth checking - as it is called white octopus in spanish. But I think the shape is wrong and colour is no guide in cephalopods.

     

    I am pretty lost. I look forward to hearing what it is.

     

    Alex

  8. hmm doesn't seem straight forward

     

    My scientist contact confirmed it is an Atlantic long armed octopus and according to him it is in fact indigenous (as you say Jim) to the Med but it is fairly uncommon so at least Im happy to have seen it :lol:

  9. Interesting info. Thanks guys. I didn't know that species was in the Med as it wasn't in any of my Med marine life books.

     

    Alex

  10. I found a reference in Wirtz and Debelius' Mediterranean and Atlantic Invertebrate Guide where it lists its distribution as including the Med and includes a photo of an individual taken in Crete which the authors say may be the first photo taken of the species in the Med. Makes me feel even happier with my photos since it seems it really is quite a rare sight locally :lol:

Ultralight Control Systems

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.