Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Goby with parasite?

Started by danielstassen ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

Goby with parasite?

6 posts
  1. Hi Guys,

     

    Is it some kind of parasite or disease or something else?

     

    post-21493-1333267042.jpg

     

    Cheers

     

    Daniel

  2. Poor little guy.... definitely parasitic in nature. Those are eggs in the lower bulge. Not something I've seen before but I'll pass the photo along to someone who should know what it is.

    Edited by Leslie
  3. Tanks Leslie. Many Gobies here in Alor seem to be afflicted by this parasite. I see them every single dive, but have never seen that anywhere else in Indonesia...

     

    Cheers

     

    Daniel

  4. Hi Leslie,

     

    Still no news?

     

    I am intrigued that no one seems to have seen this before.... It seems so common in Alor.

  5. Two votes for copepod parasites but no better identification so far. Our fish curator, Dr. Christine Thacker, is a goby expert & didn't recognize it.

  6. Thanks Leslie. I will try to get more shots and post them here... Maybe from a different angle or parasitic stage we might be able to identify this...

     

    Daniel

Aquatica

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.