Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Using Unsharp Mask with scanned slides

Started by scubamarli ·

  • 2Posts
  • 2Replies

Read-only discussion

Using Unsharp Mask with scanned slides

2 posts
  1. Using Unsharp Mask with scanned slides

    Forgive me if this has been discussed before, but I couldn't find anything definitive. Are there any basic starting points for using Unsharp mask? I am scanning slides using a Nikon Coolscan IV. I don't want to add too much "grain". Is it just a matter of trial and error. I'm scanning for publication, if that helps.

     

    Cheers,

    Marli

  2. Don't do any sharpening during the scan. Do it all in Photoshop.

     

    If you are familiar with PS, then use an adjustment layer/mask. Blue water doesn't sharpen well without adding "noise". There are some tutuorials on USM out there somewhere.

     

    Do not sharpen until the end, meaning you are done with other adjustments and the image is sized to final output. If your final ouptut is CMYK printing, then sharpen the crap out it. It should look crunchy on your screen.

Backscatter

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.