Hi all. I've been a lurker on the Wetpixel forums for some time - just haven't made the jump to digital UW photography just yet.
I've always loved the water and have wanted to shoot underwater for a long time. I'm an experienced and capable topside shooter, where I shoot primarily with my 5D Mark II and 7D, although I sometimes use my Panasonic GF-1 and iPhone as well (I also used a G10 for a bike trip until I accidentally dropped it off of the roof of my car). My only underwater photography experience was using a Ewa-Marine bag with a Canon 1D Mark II N and 17-40mm for one snorkeling trip in Hawaii.
I'm very critical of my own photography, and have wanted to get a DSLR underwater setup because I worry that I won't be happy with just a point-and-shoot. I'm also interested in doing under-over shots, video, and shots using natural light in lakes and ponds, all of which would probably be much better done with a larger sensor and lens. However, this is a very costly investment for something I may not have access to very often. I live in New Hampshire and most of my underwater shooting would probably be in ponds and lakes, or on vacations. I don't see myself becoming strictly or mostly an underwater shooter and I'm not in the financial position to be making a large investment on something I would use infrequently.
So I find that I'm seeking the best compromise between something that will give me the quality and shooting flexibility and control I am seeking underwater, but also be a good investment.
1) One option I was considering would be a higher end point and shoot, such as a Canon S90 or S95 or G10, and an underwater housing to go with that. That way I'd have a point-and-shoot for use topside (since I don't currently own one), and would only invest minimally in an underwater housing and possibly a strobe. Are Canon's underwater housings any good? They seem inexpensive, but I don't know if they are any good, and also if it is possible to attach a strobe to them.
2) Another option would be a waterproof shockproof camera, such as a Canon D10 or Panasonic TS-10 or TS-3. These have the added advantage of operating pretty similarly in all conditions as well as being resistant to drops and temperature fluctuations, but don't shoot RAW, which is a huge drawback for me. Honestly, if they had RAW, I'd probably own one already, as it would be a great "loaner" camera for friends.
3) A third option is to splurge on an older model DSLR underwater kit, used off of the classified forum or ebay. I could probably get a camera, housing, dome, and maybe a strobe for under $1000. The problem is, will the older models be satisfactory? Plus I'll have an entire kit dedicated exclusively to UW shooting, which I haven't even done yet and may not do often. Also, video is a recent introduction to DSLRs, so I lose this capability in purchasing an older model.
4) The final option is to invest in a housing and dome for an existing camera I have, knowing I'll spend a lot of money on something I may rarely use. This will also leave me "stuck" with the camera body I get the housing for, unable to upgrade my topside camera for some time as new models come out. I'll also at most, be able to afford just a housing and port, and even that is financially almost impossible.
I guess my question is, what are your experiences? Are DSLR topside shooters going to find an underwater point-and-shoot to be limiting and frustrating to use?
I should add that, I'm a great swimmer, but I don't currently SCUBA. Most of what I plan to shoot with this setup right now is at or near the surface - breeding frogs and salamanders, under-overs of aquatic vegetation or aquatic birds, some sunfish and crayfish just a few feet below the surface. I do plan on getting SCUBA certified this summer though.
Looking forward to your replies!